Default Horizontal Convergence Varies from Side to Side

I just received a second-hand 19" KDS Avitron flat screen monitor
through FreeCycleSeattle.

The convergence is out of whack, so that if the right side of the
screen is sharp, the left is way off. And vice versa. So, for now
I've settled on converging the center.

But it is very annoying to have both sides of the huge screen looking
out of focus, so I'm wondering if there might not be some controls
inside the case that can adjust the "spread" of each of the colors.

I've never looked inside a monitor before, and so will need some help
and advice, starting with how to get the back of the case off. I can't
find any visible screws. I've also heard you can get a nasty shock if
you touch the wrong part.

So, my first question is, do you think a novice should attempt such an
adjustment? The woman who gave me the monitor was kind enough to offer
to take it back if it didn't work out for me.

Other than the convergence problem, the image looks great; bright and
crisp in the center. If I could get that quality all across the screen
I would be very happy with this monitor.

I'm a disabled senior with chronic health problems, the treatment for
which eats up my tiny SS check, so I can't afford to take the monitor
into a repair shop, much less buy a new one to replace it.

Jerry G.

Convergence problems from what you are describing can be from worn parts in
the scan circuits, or from the CRT mask going defective. Also, there are
fault conditions with the deflection yoke that can cause convergence errors.
Proper troubleshooting would be required by an experienced monitor
technician to determine the failed components.

The cost would not be really worth it on the monitor you have. Also, the
manufacture will not give out any service information, or sell the parts to
a non factory authorized service centre.

--

Jerry G.
======

oups.com...