hash

Default 32gig limit

hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.
thanks in advance.
-hash
James Sweet

"hash" wrote in message
om...
hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.
thanks in advance.
-hash

Look on the Asus website.

Jack Zeal

hash wrote:
hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.
thanks in advance.
-hash

What's the mainboard model, board version, and BIOS version. Sometimes
the BIOS is dated instead of versioned.

The model and version will likely be on the board; the BIOS version
displayed in self-test-- look near where the CPU and memory are added.

With that info, you can check to see what features that BIOS has. Often
the maker's site will describe each version and what was added. Worst
case, ask in a comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware area. A mainboard one exists.
Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:36:15 -0700, Jack Zeal
wrote:

hash wrote:
hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.
thanks in advance.
-hash

Even if the BIOS doesn't support a 32 GB drive, you can buy an IDE
controller PCI card which will support the drive. These cards have
their own BIOS like an SCSI card. I would think any Athlon board
should be good to at least the next highest limit which is around 100
GB. I've never had any trouble with 60GB drives on a variety of older
motherboards.

Andy Cuffe

-- Use this email address first

Bob Urz

wrote:

hash wrote:

hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.
thanks in advance.
-hash

Even if the BIOS doesn't support a 32 GB drive, you can buy an IDE
controller PCI card which will support the drive. These cards have
their own BIOS like an SCSI card. I would think any Athlon board
should be good to at least the next highest limit which is around 100
GB. I've never had any trouble with 60GB drives on a variety of older
motherboards.

Andy Cuffe

-- Use this email address first

Most hardrives used to ship with a program like ontrak or such which
would do a table translation to allow this.

Bob

Jim Adney

hash wrote:
hello,
I have an asus motherboard with amd athlon 800 and elite k7 motherboard,
how do i know if they can support hard drives larger than 32 gig.

Have you checked the Asus web site?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Chaos Master

This is Mark D. Zacharias for forever:
I would think any board which would support an AMD 800 would be good to at
least 4 gig, maybe signifcantly more.

In fact, I have done (some adjustments, system reinstall) for a friend's
PC: a 750MHz AMD Duron (sp?) (SOYO motherboard) with a 40GB hard drive,
and worked perfectly.

And I have seen 500MHz AMD K6-2 PC's with 20GB hard drives.

I suppose a motherboard made in 2000 or 2001 will support up to 80GB
hard drives.

Otherwise a PCI IDE controller card is a good option (even more so if
going to use hard drives bigger than 128GB with an older PC).

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
/ 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee