Sabian Smith

Default HELP! How do I connect a DC coaxial connector?

The AC adapter for my laptop broke, but only the very end connector that
plugs into the laptop. It is a DC coaxial connector (female), i think 5mmOD
x 2.1mm ID. I assume I can purchase these little connectors at radioshack.
How do I attach them to the wire? Do I have to cut the wire and solder
something? Any links with instruction for a soldering newbie?

thanks

James Sweet

"Sabian Smith" wrote in message
The AC adapter for my laptop broke, but only the very end connector

that
plugs into the laptop. It is a DC coaxial connector (female), i think

5mmOD
x 2.1mm ID. I assume I can purchase these little connectors at

radioshack.
How do I attach them to the wire? Do I have to cut the wire and solder
something? Any links with instruction for a soldering newbie?

thanks

Yes you have to cut the wire off, strip it carefully and solder it without
melting the insulation and shorting it out. You need to make sure you get
the polarity right too or you'll fry the laptop. It's not as hard as it
sounds, but it might be good to get help from someone who's soldered before.

mike

James Sweet wrote:
"Sabian Smith" wrote in message

The AC adapter for my laptop broke, but only the very end connector

that

plugs into the laptop. It is a DC coaxial connector (female), i think

5mmOD

x 2.1mm ID. I assume I can purchase these little connectors at

radioshack.

How do I attach them to the wire? Do I have to cut the wire and solder
something? Any links with instruction for a soldering newbie?

thanks

Yes you have to cut the wire off, strip it carefully and solder it without
melting the insulation and shorting it out. You need to make sure you get
the polarity right too or you'll fry the laptop. It's not as hard as it
sounds, but it might be good to get help from someone who's soldered before.

And when you're done, take a voltmeter and VERIFY the polarity.
Go have a cup of coffee then come back with the voltmeter and VERIFY the
polarity again. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!! Jobs that look trivial can be
the most challenging to get right. Do not GUESS. Do not trust the
color of the wire. Do not assume you hooked it up the way you're sure
it is supposed to be.

The connector gets a lot of stress, as evidenced by your busted one.
After I verify that it's all working, I shoot the connector full of
hot-melt glue to keep the wire stable.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Jerry G.

Since you have to ask this question, you should take it to your local TV
shop and let them do it for the few dollars that they may charge.

When changing the connector, the wire will have to be cut, and the new one
soldered on. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the polarity is not reversed, or that
the connection does not have a short (usually caused by improper soldering).
If there is a problem, the mother board can be damaged, and thus the
computer repair will be very expensive.

When I was working in servicing consumer equipment, from time to time, I
have seen very expensive cameras, laptops, and other types of equipment come
in with extensive damage. As it turned out, most of this type of damage was
caused by people trying to save a few dollars by attempting to fix it
themselves. In the end, they usually ended up doing more damage than what
they started with.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Sabian Smith" wrote in message
The AC adapter for my laptop broke, but only the very end connector that
plugs into the laptop. It is a DC coaxial connector (female), i think 5mmOD
x 2.1mm ID. I assume I can purchase these little connectors at radioshack.
How do I attach them to the wire? Do I have to cut the wire and solder
something? Any links with instruction for a soldering newbie?

thanks

duh....
you just jam it into the hole with a lot of super glue.... then take
it to the repair shop. That is the way I see a lot of this stuff
coming into my shop. It will be cheaper if you just TAKE it to the
shop first.
electricitym

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
duh....
you just jam it into the hole with a lot of super glue.... then take
it to the repair shop. That is the way I see a lot of this stuff
coming into my shop. It will be cheaper if you just TAKE it to the
shop first.
electricitym

Not super glue. Liquid solder!

Megahertz PCMCIA Ethernet dongle W. Curtiss Priest Electronics Repair 0 January 16th 05 08:06 PM
EHT cable connector broken. Davemar Electronics Repair 2 December 21st 04 07:42 PM
Tank connector AndyP UK diy 4 October 13th 04 11:33 AM
Connecting Delinghi Gas Cooker to flexible (threaded) hose connector Ghazali UK diy 5 August 27th 03 04:43 PM
Microwave interferes with AM radio TOM KAN PA Home Repair 8 August 4th 03 12:31 AM