James Sweet

"Sabian Smith" wrote in message
The AC adapter for my laptop broke, but only the very end connector

that
plugs into the laptop. It is a DC coaxial connector (female), i think

5mmOD
x 2.1mm ID. I assume I can purchase these little connectors at

radioshack.
How do I attach them to the wire? Do I have to cut the wire and solder
something? Any links with instruction for a soldering newbie?

thanks

Yes you have to cut the wire off, strip it carefully and solder it without
melting the insulation and shorting it out. You need to make sure you get
the polarity right too or you'll fry the laptop. It's not as hard as it
sounds, but it might be good to get help from someone who's soldered before.