Ken Weitzel

Default LED TV?

Berlin wrote:
Just throwing this idea out there for discussion. Okay I know there are
large LED screens available. Many used for sports events and advertising.
But what I wonder with the use of the same techniques used in say processor
production. Would it not be possible to make say a 15-20 inch TV screen? I
realise that an LED at that size would be pretty dim and that the processor
required to light them in the correct sequence would be a large unit indeed.
If they ever do figure this out it would be great for the cost effectiveness
(eventually) and not to mention the operation life of an LED. Just a thought

Hi...

Or, how about neon lamps instead?

Maybe with a wheel spinning in front of them? ;^)

Ken

James Sweet

"Berlin" wrote in message
Just throwing this idea out there for discussion. Okay I know there

are
large LED screens available. Many used for sports events and advertising.
But what I wonder with the use of the same techniques used in say

processor
production. Would it not be possible to make say a 15-20 inch TV screen? I
realise that an LED at that size would be pretty dim and that the

processor
required to light them in the correct sequence would be a large unit

indeed.
If they ever do figure this out it would be great for the cost

effectiveness
(eventually) and not to mention the operation life of an LED. Just a

thought

The problem is that LED pixels are many times more expensive than competing
technologies like LCD's and plasma. For the small size you need the same
number of pixels as for a large screen, it's just not economical, you'd just
have a $10k 20" TV.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:22:10 UTC, "James Sweet"
wrote:

The problem is that LED pixels are many times more expensive than competing
technologies like LCD's and plasma. For the small size you need the same
number of pixels as for a large screen, it's just not economical, you'd just
have a $10k 20" TV.

A friend just dropped in his new Blackberry, and he states that the
new screen is just that......thousands of multi-colour LEDs!

The neat part about it is that it requires no backlight

Give them enough time, those darn engineers will come up with
anything!

Tedd, VE3TJD

Alan Harriman

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:43:06 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:

Berlin wrote:
Just throwing this idea out there for discussion. Okay I know there are
large LED screens available. Many used for sports events and advertising.
But what I wonder with the use of the same techniques used in say processor
production. Would it not be possible to make say a 15-20 inch TV screen? I
realise that an LED at that size would be pretty dim and that the processor
required to light them in the correct sequence would be a large unit indeed.
If they ever do figure this out it would be great for the cost effectiveness
(eventually) and not to mention the operation life of an LED. Just a thought

Hi...

Or, how about neon lamps instead?

Maybe with a wheel spinning in front of them? ;^)

A Nipkow Scanning Disk ?

Alan Harriman

Ken

JW

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:22:10 GMT "James Sweet"
wrote in Message id: m6IHd.2334$Hg6.1997@trnddc09:

The problem is that LED pixels are many times more expensive than competing
technologies like LCD's and plasma. For the small size you need the same
number of pixels as for a large screen, it's just not economical, you'd just
have a $10k 20" TV.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/news/39392.html

21" - I'll bet this baby cost more than $10k. Pity that there's no picture
of the thing...
Jerry G.

LED TV is being worked on. These are in the class of organic LED's.
There are plans to eventualy come out with monitor and TV screens for
general applications. The LED size would have to come down to match the
LCD and Plasma screens for the dots.

The LED technology itself is not the problem. The problem is to make
htat many LED's fit together properly, have the necessary heat
dissipation, and also put out the necessary lumination for this type of
application.

Samsung is about to announce a replacement for the Plasma and LCD
screens using organic LED technology:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/eme...9155141,00.htm
Jerry G.
======

NSM

"Alan Harriman" wrote in message

| Or, how about neon lamps instead?
|
| Maybe with a wheel spinning in front of them? ;^)
|
| A Nipkow Scanning Disk ?

Yes. You did get the sarcasm, right?

FoulDragon

Well, there is a technology called OLED being developed. a LED screen can get
made somewhat like LCD screens are now; it's claimed to be bright and offer
better off-angle viewing than LCD, but it's not ready for prime time yet.
Apparently they have a short life.

--
Marada Shra'drakaii
James Sweet

wrote:

The problem is that LED pixels are many times more expensive than

competing
technologies like LCD's and plasma. For the small size you need the same
number of pixels as for a large screen, it's just not economical, you'd

just
have a $10k 20" TV.

A friend just dropped in his new Blackberry, and he states that the
new screen is just that......thousands of multi-colour LEDs!

The neat part about it is that it requires no backlight

Give them enough time, those darn engineers will come up with
anything!

Tedd, VE3TJD

I've heard of progress made on printable organic LED's, but last I looked
into them they still had a number of hurdles to overcome. If this is in fact
what's used I'd be curious to know more about it, either way it's not LED's
in a conventional sense.

Michael

OLED is real, folks. At the CES in Las Vegas, I saw an OLED pocket TV
with built-in hard drive recorder, intended to retail for about $600.
Not the brightest picture I've ever seen, but absolutely gorgeous
otherwise. Looked the same from any viewing angle, and was more like a
CRT picture than any LCD or plasma I've ever seen. Lifetime? No idea.
But it was mighty nice.