BWL

Default RCA CTC203 won't start

Have an RCA CTC203CX chassis which starts, makes H.V., then shuts down. I have
the CD manual, but not a Chipper Checker. Folowing the troubleshooting guide in
manual, I replaced C144103 (.5 @250v) with a .45@250 (all I had) , and set came
on, produced pic. Shut off and restarted OK. Got a new .5 from local RCA
supplier, and installed, but set would not start (same symptom). Putting the
..45 back in didn't help. The set is not being shut down by the x-ray line, it
stays below .1v. Help!!!
TIA
Billy

If it's a model that has the PIP feature it's possible this board is
shutting down the set. Unplug the small board with the AV jacks from
the main chassis if it's got one and see if the set still shuts down.
If not you most likely have bad solder connections on the surface mt
resistors near the 3.3v regulator IC. Very hard to believe, I know. I
read it here, didn't 100% believe it, but have seen the problem myself
recently.
BWL wrote:
Have an RCA CTC203CX chassis which starts, makes H.V., then shuts

down. I have
the CD manual, but not a Chipper Checker. Folowing the

troubleshooting guide in
manual, I replaced C144103 (.5 @250v) with a .45@250 (all I had) ,

and set came
on, produced pic. Shut off and restarted OK. Got a new .5 from local

RCA
supplier, and installed, but set would not start (same symptom).

Putting the
.45 back in didn't help. The set is not being shut down by the x-ray

line, it
stays below .1v. Help!!!
TIA
Billy

Phil Bowser

The set needs to communicate with all ICs on the I2C bus or it will shut
down. I have repaired over a dozen sets that weren't getting enough +3.3V
to the F2PIP processor on the little standup I/O jack / PIP board because of
poor solder connections on the SMD resistor to the +3.3V 3-terminal
regulator at the top of this little board. They use an adjustable regulator
IC (LM317T) and when the adj. terminal isn't properly biased, the reg. IC
outputs insufficient voltage for the F2PIP processor IC to properly
communicate with the system control micro, and it shuts down. Try soldering
this and all 3 terminals of the 3-pin reglator IC attached to the little
heatsink. If this doesn't help, measure the 3.3V there during startup (best
look at it with a scope0 to see if it makes it up to 3.3V. A quicker test
is simply unplug the whole F2PIP PC board from the main board. The set
should run fine without it - it just won't run with the chip dragging down
the clock / data on the I2C bus. Also note that error codes to this effect
will be stored and should be reset when repair is completed.

"BWL" wrote in message
Have an RCA CTC203CX chassis which starts, makes H.V., then shuts down. I

have
the CD manual, but not a Chipper Checker. Folowing the troubleshooting

guide in
manual, I replaced C144103 (.5 @250v) with a .45@250 (all I had) , and set

came
on, produced pic. Shut off and restarted OK. Got a new .5 from local RCA
supplier, and installed, but set would not start (same symptom). Putting

the
.45 back in didn't help. The set is not being shut down by the x-ray line,

it
stays below .1v. Help!!!
TIA
Billy

Wildcard

Seen a bad solder connection cause this in about 6 of these
models. At home right now or I would look it up. But it
was a connection on a coil (looking from the back) behind
the heat sink for the HOT. Somewhere in the horiz driver
section. The worst part is it dosen't look heat stressed
or cracked. It appears the solder just did not stick to the
lead of the coil too well.

BWL wrote:

Have an RCA CTC203CX chassis which starts, makes H.V., then shuts down. I have
the CD manual, but not a Chipper Checker. Folowing the troubleshooting guide in
manual, I replaced C144103 (.5 @250v) with a .45@250 (all I had) , and set came
on, produced pic. Shut off and restarted OK. Got a new .5 from local RCA
supplier, and installed, but set would not start (same symptom). Putting the
.45 back in didn't help. The set is not being shut down by the x-ray line, it
stays below .1v. Help!!!
TIA
Billy

Art

Referring to L14401?? Remove the coil from the board, clean al the residue
of the glue both from the pcb and from the coil leads. Reinstall the coil
and resolder the leads to the pads. Very common problem with this design and
the use of the glue that contaminates the connections.