Phil Bowser

The set needs to communicate with all ICs on the I2C bus or it will shut
down. I have repaired over a dozen sets that weren't getting enough +3.3V
to the F2PIP processor on the little standup I/O jack / PIP board because of
poor solder connections on the SMD resistor to the +3.3V 3-terminal
regulator at the top of this little board. They use an adjustable regulator
IC (LM317T) and when the adj. terminal isn't properly biased, the reg. IC
outputs insufficient voltage for the F2PIP processor IC to properly
communicate with the system control micro, and it shuts down. Try soldering
this and all 3 terminals of the 3-pin reglator IC attached to the little
heatsink. If this doesn't help, measure the 3.3V there during startup (best
look at it with a scope0 to see if it makes it up to 3.3V. A quicker test
is simply unplug the whole F2PIP PC board from the main board. The set
should run fine without it - it just won't run with the chip dragging down
the clock / data on the I2C bus. Also note that error codes to this effect
will be stored and should be reset when repair is completed.

"BWL" wrote in message
Have an RCA CTC203CX chassis which starts, makes H.V., then shuts down. I

have
the CD manual, but not a Chipper Checker. Folowing the troubleshooting

guide in
manual, I replaced C144103 (.5 @250v) with a .45@250 (all I had) , and set

came
on, produced pic. Shut off and restarted OK. Got a new .5 from local RCA
supplier, and installed, but set would not start (same symptom). Putting

the
.45 back in didn't help. The set is not being shut down by the x-ray line,

it
stays below .1v. Help!!!
TIA
Billy