Tim Sampson

Default DVD/CDRW combo drive won't read DVDs

Hi

The DVD/CDRW combo drive on my laptop reads CDs okay but will not recognise
DVDs. When a CD is inserted, it does a long spin and recognises the disk. I
can then read the data or play audio CDs. When a DVD is inserted it does a
very short spin and that's all.

I can only see one thing that looks like a lens (as opposed to two). Is
there any chance of fixing this? What might be wrong?

The laptop is a Fujitsu-Siemens C1020 and the drive is a QSI SBW-161.

Thanks
Tim
majortom

Did ya try cleaning the lens of the optical assembly?? Might help.
If it gets used & abused quite often, it ( the optics assembly) might
be wearing out
mechanically, causing poor tracking. If that's the case I'd start
searching
Flea Bay for a replacement.

Bill

harrogate2

"Tim Sampson" wrote in
message .200...
Hi

The DVD/CDRW combo drive on my laptop reads CDs okay but will not

recognise
DVDs. When a CD is inserted, it does a long spin and recognises the

disk. I
can then read the data or play audio CDs. When a DVD is inserted it

does a
very short spin and that's all.

I can only see one thing that looks like a lens (as opposed to two).

Is
there any chance of fixing this? What might be wrong?

The laptop is a Fujitsu-Siemens C1020 and the drive is a QSI

SBW-161.

Thanks
Tim

Funny that - my daughter's Acer with a Matsu****a drive has exactly
the same problem. Fortunately it has a 2 year warranty and is only 16
months old!

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

Tim Sampson

"majortom" wrote in
oups.com:

Did ya try cleaning the lens of the optical assembly?? Might help.
If it gets used & abused quite often, it ( the optics assembly) might
be wearing out
mechanically, causing poor tracking. If that's the case I'd start
searching
Flea Bay for a replacement.

Bill

Yes, tried that. Searching epay now for a bargain replacement.

Cheers
Tim

Need a computer system for your nuclear program? Gunner Metalworking 42 December 28th 04 10:58 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony DVD/CD player model DVP-S500D will not read DVD's but CD's OK Lenny Electronics Repair 4 October 13th 03 05:33 PM
O.T. How come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong" side of theroad Eastburn Metalworking 4 September 11th 03 08:53 PM