Default Taking Apart TV Remotes

Have taken apart TV remotes that have had various liquids spilled on
them and so far have been able to clean them up and make them usable.

Have a Daewoo Tv remote that needs disassembly but have been unable to
find any screws holding it together. Have done some searching and
found a number of postings saying that the new remotes are only held
together by plastic interlocks. Have tried to seperate along the seam
but have had no success so far.

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Gene

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Have taken apart TV remotes that have had various liquids spilled on
| them and so far have been able to clean them up and make them usable.
|
| Have a Daewoo Tv remote that needs disassembly but have been unable to
| find any screws holding it together. Have done some searching and
| found a number of postings saying that the new remotes are only held
| together by plastic interlocks. Have tried to seperate along the seam
| but have had no success so far.

I start with a thumbnail or a blunt flat blade and work around until I get a
crack opened somewhere. Then you can find each lock device and open them one
at a time. You almost need 10 hands!

Sometimes you can find which way the seam opens by pressing firmly
along the seam line. The half that presses in will usually allow you to
get a shim or blunt blade in under the opposite half. I use plastic or
wooden shims tomaintain the seperation. Often I have 4 - 5 shims in the
thing before it pops. Sony remotes sometimes unsnap one way in the
battery compartment and the opposite way around the main body.

Richard

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I have seen a few remotes that have used glue as a means of being held
together. These can be tough to break open without causing other damage. If
you think your remote control may be glued, work slowly and consider using
some gentle heat to persuade the glue to soften up.

William

NSM

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:BM4Cd.17051$3m6.15196@attbi_s51...
| Hi!
|
| I have seen a few remotes that have used glue as a means of being held
| together. These can be tough to break open without causing other damage.
If
| you think your remote control may be glued, work slowly and consider using
| some gentle heat to persuade the glue to soften up.

You have to decide if you really want it open or not. If you do, the worst
way to go is to saw it open. Otherwise I try flexing it, twisting it, all
the way up to dropping it on a concrete floor to crack it open. It's always
easier IME to glue a cracked case back together than anything else, and
sometimes the glue will break if you hit it right.