jeff

Default New Sylvania goes too easily into Service Mode with 3rd party remotes

I recently purchased a Sylvania 20" flat screen, model# SRT2420P at Sears
for only $99. The TV works great overall, but if I use a 3rd party remote
that I just purchased at Radio Shack, the TV will go into Service Mode if I
press any of several extra buttons on the remote that don't come with the
original remote, such as PIP, CC, etc. It also happens when using a Zenith
remote and pressing the CC button, and also when pressing certain key
combintations when navigating the menu. When the TV goes into service mode,
it seems the only way to get out of it is to power off the unit from the
power button on the unit itself. To me, it seems strange that the TV goes
so easily into Service Mode with 3rd party remotes. Granted this does not
happen when using the original remote.

Is there any way I can disable the ability of the TV from going into Service
Mode so easily with 3rd party remotes, so that I can prevent sombody else
from accidentally hitting a button that would cause it to enter Service
Mode? If not, then is there a way to get out of service mode without
powering the unit off from the TV's power button?

Thanks,

J.

Lawrence

Just so you don't think it is a fluke, I found basically the same thing with the
Durabrand 27" DCT2704R that I just bought last month at Walmart. I thought it
was very strange. I didn't tell the wife though since she is one of these folks
who thinks anything beyond an ON/OFF button and a way to change channels/volume
is a waste of time so the service settings would surely throw her for a loop.
Anyway, I wonder how many other brands of newer TV's suffer this same thing?

Lawrence

jeff

Well, I decided to call the 800 number on my user's manual, and asked about
this. The tech support said that this is simply the way the TV was designed
and it may behave strangely if you press certain buttons on a 3rd party
remote. I asked if there is any way to lock it out of going into service
mode, they said there is not, and said that their only recommendation was
just to use the remote that came with the TV.

I told them that I think their engineers made a bad decision in designing it
this way, but since I only paid $99 I guess I can't really complain.

J.

Just so you don't think it is a fluke, I found basically the same thing
with the
Durabrand 27" DCT2704R that I just bought last month at Walmart. I thought
it
was very strange. I didn't tell the wife though since she is one of these
folks
who thinks anything beyond an ON/OFF button and a way to change
channels/volume
is a waste of time so the service settings would surely throw her for a
loop.
Anyway, I wonder how many other brands of newer TV's suffer this same thing?

Lawrence

jeff

The problem is that somone who doesn't understand this problem should
accidentally press one of those buttons by mistake. Also it's annoying when
it does happen.

Luckily it does not appear that the remote actually lets you change any of
the settings once you're in Service Mode. The only way to change a setting
is from the buttons on the TV itself. I guess it would not hurt to write
down all the settings just to be on the safe side.

J.

I didn't tell the wife though since she is one of these
folks
who thinks anything beyond an ON/OFF button and a way to change
channels/volume
is a waste of time so the service settings would surely throw her for a
loop.

James Sweet

"jeff" wrote in message
The problem is that somone who doesn't understand this problem should
accidentally press one of those buttons by mistake. Also it's annoying

when
it does happen.

Can you program those buttons on the universal remote to do something else?

jeff

Can you program those buttons on the universal remote to do something
else?

No, those buttons are not programmable.

J.

James Sweet

"jeff" wrote in message
Can you program those buttons on the universal remote to do something
else?

No, those buttons are not programmable.

J.

Hmm well if no other equipment uses them you can "lock out" buttons by
dissasembling the remote and sticking a piece of scotch tape over the pads
for the unwanted buttons. Completely reversible.

So strange that a single button can enter service mode, that's an accident
waiting to happen, usually you need to press a whole sequence to do that.

jeff

So strange that a single button can enter service mode, that's an accident
waiting to happen, usually you need to press a whole sequence to do that.

Agreed. It would seem that the engineers at Funai made a bad decision, and
it could cost them money if it causes a lot of people to call tech support
to ask about why the TV does this.

J.