meirman

Default SONY TV, how to preset the stations.

I have a new-to-me 20" Sony color tv from 1989. Is there a way to
preset what channels the channel-up and -down buttons should stop at?

A friend gave this to me and he couldn't find the remote control so I
bought a Sony remote with univeral control for other devices. He
couldn't find the manual either, nor could I for the KV-20TX11

If I use the channel-up button on the tv or the remote, it just adds 1
to the channel number. To go from 13 to 54, I have to press the
button 41 times, or if I can find the remote, press 5, 4, enter.

There is no Scan button that I can find on the tv, and the remote is
not the exact remote for this tv. It was made much later, I think.
(Didn't have it with me but it looked like the Sony remote that Radio
Shack sells now.)

When I press Menu on the remote, the only item that comes up is
"Picture". This corresponds to the controls on the TV. When I open
the door on the tv, there are old-fashioned knobs, pots, for color,
tint, brightness, sharpness, auto-stereo, and cable/no-cable. Only
Picture has up and down buttons!

ALSO but much less important, there are led's on the set for sleep and
timer. With the new remote, I can set it to turn off in an hour
(Sleep), great.

I am thinking Timer would allow me to have it turn on in the morning.
Is that right? But there is no button for that on the new remote.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Meirman:
You need the original "factory" remote which has add/delete buttons.
You can get one by calling
1-800-REMOTES
electricitym
= = = = = = = = = = = =

meirman wrote:
[...]

AshTray700

some of the universal remotes dont support all functions. you can try
getting a customizeable or learning remote from one for all, and then go
to their website www.ueic.com i think and they have a page for requesting
special device button codes by the tv model number and the code book will
tell you how to customise the buttons. as for the menu? i dont know why
you get a picture menu if this tv has pots for all of the picture
settings, if it has a pot for a control you wont be able to use the remote
to set that option. this may just be a fluke like a technics receiver in
which the universal remote will put it in video 2 mode but i have no video
2 inputs! the special codes will probably give you a way to preset channes
as in some sets there is a special button for add and remove channel. i
find that the list of special button codes is quite good, i have found
options before that even the original remotes never supported.

meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:06:51 -0500
"AshTray700" posted:

some of the universal remotes dont support all functions. you can try
getting a customizeable or learning remote from one for all, and then go
to their website www.ueic.com i think and they have a page for requesting
special device button codes by the tv model number and the code book will
tell you how to customise the buttons. as for the menu? i dont know why

Wow. Not only would I not have known of this webpage, but none of the
higher level pages even mention downloads. If you hadn't told me I
would never have found it!
http://www.mynevo.com/mynevo/Download/Download.aspx

Oops. It seems I can't use it unless I register a device with them. I
already have several things by them I think, but they only want these
Product Names:

HP iPAQ2200 series
3950 series
3970 series
5400 series
rx3100 series
3400 series
3700 series
Viewsonic Smart Display 110
150

Do you have any of these that I could register?

They also want the Device Name and the Serial Number.

I'd appreciate it a lot.

(This serial number can be displayed by tapping [the wrench] from the
Nevo home screen, then tap "About Nevo.")

I may buy one of these devices, and my ex-girlfriend might too. (She's
been looking for something like this.), but before I do, I'd like to
know that they have the special keys I want available for downloading.

Also, the guy who gave me this tv may find the remote. The last night
he was in Virginia, he found the side of the case for the old computer
he gave me, and I'm sure he has the remote somewhere. But he won't be
back from Florida until the spring, and who knows when he'll find it.
(He seems to buy nothing but SONY video and audio, so he may have a
hard time telilng one remote from anotehr.

you get a picture menu if this tv has pots for all of the picture
settings,

No, it has pots for all of the picture settings except "Picture".
That has up and down buttons on the tv, and is the only item that
shows up on screen when I press "menu". I just find it strange that
they considered "picture" to be so important that it was the only
picture related control on the remote.

if it has a pot for a control you wont be able to use the remote
to set that option. this may just be a fluke like a technics receiver in
which the universal remote will put it in video 2 mode but i have no video
2 inputs! the special codes will probably give you a way to preset channes
as in some sets there is a special button for add and remove channel. i
find that the list of special button codes is quite good, i have found
options before that even the original remotes never supported.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Hi,

The remotes I get for the KV20TX11 television are the RM-765 or
(universal) RM-Y133 neither of which I get references for on the Sony
site. I would call Joseph Electronics in Niles, Il and run your model #
by them. Their phone is 800-323-5925 and if you're a professional,
aren't we all, you'll get the pro discount.

Richard