Junior Member

Smile Sharp Microwave R515EX distorted display

My unit only displays partial data. The 'time' feature that is displayed when not in a cooking mode does not properly show the current time unless I press the plastic cover with my fingers. The same can be said for the display during the 'cooking' cycle. Other than that the machine works great. This unit is about 3 years old. The replacement price is about $130 dollars. I think I only paid about $75 on sale and am willing to shop for a new one if necessary. I am the sole operator but the display causes me some annoyance each time I use it. If there is some one out there with an easy cure I am open to suggestions. I do have some electrical/mechanical knowledge and can do most simple adjustments. Thanks in advance for any help you can tender.
I wish you all a very happy holiday cooking season and a Merry Christmas
James Sweet

"larry2shoes" wrote in message

My unit only displays partial data. The 'time' feature that is displayed
when not in a cooking mode does not properly show the current time
unless I press the plastic cover with my fingers.

Obviously some sort of bad connection, is it LCD or vacuum fluorescent
display? This should be easy to fix if you can solder and know what not to
touch inside a microwave.

NSM

"larry2shoes" wrote in message

| My unit only displays partial data. The 'time' feature that is displayed
| when not in a cooking mode does not properly show the current time
| unless I press the plastic cover with my fingers.

My Sharp has some sort of odd electroluminescent LCD that is presure
sensitive. If it were me, I'd pull the control unit and refit it carefully
to see if that would help. Otherwise shop for that part, buy a new uWave on
eBay, try local repair shops ... ?

Graham

My unit only displays partial data. The 'time' feature that is displayed
when not in a cooking mode does not properly show the current time
unless I press the plastic cover with my fingers. The same can be said
for the display during the 'cooking' cycle. Other than that the machine
works great. This unit is about 3 years old. The replacement price is
about $130 dollars. I think I only paid about $75 on sale and am
willing to shop for a new one if necessary. I am the sole operator but
the display causes me some annoyance each time I use it. If there is
some one out there with an easy cure I am open to suggestions. I do
have some electrical/mechanical knowledge and can do most simple
adjustments. Thanks in advance for any help you can tender.
I wish you all a very happy holiday cooking season and a Merry
Christmas

larry2shoes

I haven't seen the R-515 but I have repaired many Sharp R- series
microwaves.

Most have an LCD backlit by LEDS (not electroluminescent)
The LCD is connected to the CPU PCB with a flimsy ribbon that is bonded to
the glass and to the PCB.

There is no reliable way of just replacing the LCD, so you have to buy a
complete module, which Sharp call a CPU.
This is a very common fault across the R- series.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

NSM

"Graham" wrote in message

| I haven't seen the R-515 but I have repaired many Sharp R- series
| microwaves.
|
| Most have an LCD backlit by LEDS (not electroluminescent)
| The LCD is connected to the CPU PCB with a flimsy ribbon that is bonded to
| the glass and to the PCB.
|
| There is no reliable way of just replacing the LCD, so you have to buy a
| complete module, which Sharp call a CPU.
| This is a very common fault across the R- series.

Mine is a Sharp R-320FK Sensor. If you lightly brush your fingers across the
display it displays bright 'crinkles' which slowly fade away. I really
believe it is electroluminescent, yellow alphanumerics on top and red
legends on the bottom. It just does not look like any sort of backlighting.

larry2shoes wrote:
My unit only displays partial data. The 'time' feature that is

displayed

There is a repair service for this.

It runs $32.50 postpaid.

Details are at http://www.tinyurl.com/yvcgr

Thomas Sedlemyer

The problem is the ribbon cable that connects the display to the board.
Sharp uses a thermaly activated glue to stick the ribbon cable to the
display and to the board. The cable ends can be heated with a hair drier to
reactivate the glue then apply pressure by wiping a finger tip accross the
cable connection until it cools(if you have a low pain tollerance, use a
pencil eraser). This works about 80% of the time.

Tom
wrote in message
oups.com...