Jerry G.

Default Iiyama EHT cap glued on?

I have seen this done on some runs of monitors from various manufactures.
This was especially where the monitors were originally destined to very
humid areas. They put some silicon HV insulating type rubber compound. I am
sure that this is what you came up against.

Normally during the life of these monitors they are not serviced. The CRT's
are not changed, because of the cost of doing so. Therefore there is no
actual thought of the need to remove the anode cap.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Remove _ for valid address" wrote in message
I've just fixed an Iiyama master Pro 17 monitor for a colleague
(no horizontal scan - the usual bad solder joint problems).

Dismantling it was made more difficult than I expected when I found
that the EHT cap on the tube had been glued down, with some sort of
grey silicone compound. A right pain to clean off the tube, and I
ended up having to replace the EHT cap on the red lead with a new one.

I don't think I've ever seen this done before. Is this normal for
(some) Iiyama monitors (I don't remember the last one of these that
I worked on being like this)? Or is this likely to be a bodge repair
by someone in the past?

No signs of corona or arcing after reassembly so I intend to leave it
unglued.

Comments?

Mike.

JURB6006

It was intended to be a throwaway. I remember them doing this on bigsreens
costing thousands of dollars, and on top of that they were just wired together,
so if you had to change one of the CRTs you might as well order the set of
three anode caps and clean them all. You could take your chances at getting it
off in one piece, and getting all the silicone off, also without damaging the
cap, but don't count on it. The problem is that the rubber cuts so much more
easily then the silicone.

JURB

Glued Carpet Removal CJ Home Repair 7 October 2nd 04 11:39 PM
Opening glued plastic enclosures Wild Bill Electronics Repair 4 September 1st 04 01:10 PM
glued on mirror help James Dean Woodworking 6 July 17th 04 09:18 PM
IIYAMA Monitor model : S102GT, and DELL P1110, are they the same monitor? private person Electronics Repair 0 February 24th 04 08:57 PM
Glued down carpet Fred Home Repair 0 September 30th 03 12:56 PM