Jerry G.

Default Iiyama EHT cap glued on?

I have seen this done on some runs of monitors from various manufactures.
This was especially where the monitors were originally destined to very
humid areas. They put some silicon HV insulating type rubber compound. I am
sure that this is what you came up against.

Normally during the life of these monitors they are not serviced. The CRT's
are not changed, because of the cost of doing so. Therefore there is no
actual thought of the need to remove the anode cap.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Remove _ for valid address" wrote in message
I've just fixed an Iiyama master Pro 17 monitor for a colleague
(no horizontal scan - the usual bad solder joint problems).

Dismantling it was made more difficult than I expected when I found
that the EHT cap on the tube had been glued down, with some sort of
grey silicone compound. A right pain to clean off the tube, and I
ended up having to replace the EHT cap on the red lead with a new one.

I don't think I've ever seen this done before. Is this normal for
(some) Iiyama monitors (I don't remember the last one of these that
I worked on being like this)? Or is this likely to be a bodge repair
by someone in the past?

No signs of corona or arcing after reassembly so I intend to leave it
unglued.

Comments?

Mike.