James Dean

Default glued on mirror help

I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

thanks.

Mark Hopkins

I have taken a hand saw and very carefully slipped it behind a mirror to cut
through the mastic. Once you get most of it loose it should not be a problem
to remove the mirror.

"James Dean" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure

out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to

the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

thanks.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:28:51 GMT, "James Dean"
calmly ranted:

I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

I've seen them removed with piano wire or guitar string.
Wrap the ends around dowels and pull it between the mirror
and wall like a cheese cutter.

You probably won't be able to save the mirror, but it is
a faint possibility. If he used construction adhesive instead
of caulk, you probably won't be able to do that and may end
up breaking out the mirror and replacing drywall.

G'luck!

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Mike Richardson

Depending on how it was put on...

I have used fishing line toied to two sticks, with sufficient length to go
across width, slip it behind and kinda saw it as you pull down...

Mike

"James Dean" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure

out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to

the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

thanks.

LP

wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

thanks.

I've not done it, but I'd bet you a beer that the mirrors are attached
with construction adhesive, not caulking.

My first choice would be to try to remove the drywall and the mirror
as a unit, so you can get it to the shop where it's easier to work on.
The drawback to this is that there's probably nails or screws in the
drywall behind the mirror, making this method impossible.

My next choice would be messy but should work; Get a squirt bottle,
of the type that glue comes in, at least a pint in size. Fill it with
lacquer thinner, and use the squirt spout to dribble the thinner in
behind the mirror and gently, gently, oh so gently, apply a little
pressure at the top edge to start pulling the mirror free. Keep
dribbling the thinner and eventually it should turn loose.

This will likely result in you having to remove, or, at the least,
repaint a large section of the drywall, but should get the mirror down
in one piece. It would be nice to have some help on hand too because
this is at least a 3-armed job. Don't forget adequate ventilation and
something to protect the floor/baseboard.

In retrospect, unless this is expensive, beveled edge glass, I think
I'd most likely just suit up with proper protection and make a few
strategic taps with a hammer. 1/8" mirror glass isnt all that
expensive and replacing it would be a lot less hassle than trying to
remove what you have in one piece.

Gerald Ross

James Dean wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has run into having to take off a large bathroom
glued on mirror.

I'm getting ready to put some bead board in my bathroom but can't figure out
how to remove the mirror from the wall without breaking the mirror or
cutting out the drywall with it.

The builder just went thru and either caulked (I hope) or glued them to the
wall.

If anyone's successfully done this I'd love to hear from ya.

thanks.

A Heat gun may soften the glue. It also might make the glass crack. Use
precautions.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

James Dean

Thanks much guys for your help.

Didn't think about the nails still in the drywall if I cut the mirror out,
that saved some frustration.

Tried the wire approach and it looks like it's been attached with industrial
strength double sided tape.

It immediately gums up the wire and puts all that to a stop right away.

I think Gerald made the most sense about the cost of the mirror and
replacing it versus the headache of trying to take it off in one piece.

I'm off to break some glass ;0)

Thanks guys.