Michelle

Default microwave damage

Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is? If so, what is the best repair method?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle

James Sweet

"Michelle" wrote in message
Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The

saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is? If so, what is the best repair method?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle

Open it up and make sure there was no internal damage, chafed wires, holes
in the oven cavity or waveguide, etc. So long as the insides are intact
it'll be fine to use. Personally I would get a piece of steel sheetmetal at
a hardware store and rivet it over the gash just in case.

Sam Goldwasser

"Michelle" writes:

Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is?

Yes! There can be significant microwave leakage through a 5x2 cm hole
assuming you mean inside the over cavity. There may also be arcing at
the sharp edges of the hole.

How could someone not notice they were sawing through metal?

If so, what is the best repair method?

If it was a contractor who caused the damage, insurance.

Else, although it can be repaired, I'm not sure I'd want to be living
with something like that for the life of the oven. A metal plate needs
to be electrically bonded to the oven to cover the hole with smooth edges
on the inside to prevent arcing. Then, painted to match.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

James Sweet

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Michelle" writes:

Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The

saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches

long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of

the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is?

Yes! There can be significant microwave leakage through a 5x2 cm hole
assuming you mean inside the over cavity. There may also be arcing at
the sharp edges of the hole.

How could someone not notice they were sawing through metal?

Whoops, I missed the part about it going into the cavity! Disregard my last
post, if the internal cavity has a hole in it, take the oven to a recycling
place and buy a new one.

Michelle

"Michelle" writes:

Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The

saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches

long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of

the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is?

Yes! There can be significant microwave leakage through a 5x2 cm hole
assuming you mean inside the over cavity. There may also be arcing at
the sharp edges of the hole.

How could someone not notice they were sawing through metal?

This is actually a replacement microwave. DH owns water heater company; the
tech got a little happy in the water heater closet sawing through the
sheetrock, into the kitchen and through the back of the brand new microwave
(newbie tech, now knows to shorten his blade - thank goodness no electrical
wires were in the wall).

Anway, DH replaced the customer's microwave and we have the damaged one.
DH says there is no danger, but before I let him install it I said I would
research and find out, as I'd rather not cook my eyeballs or internal
organs.

I may have exaggerated the size a bit, looking at it now it is about 1 inch
long, and about the width of a penny, maybe a nickle, but the edges do curl
up _into_ the oven cavity, and arcing is a very good point.

Thanks for the posts!

Michelle

LASERandDVDfan

I may have exaggerated the size a bit, looking at it now it is about 1 inch
long, and about the width of a penny, maybe a nickle, but the edges do curl
up _into_ the oven cavity, and arcing is a very good point.

If you are unsure, just go ahead and replace it.

Prolonged exposure to microwave energy of the amplitude generated by a
microwave oven could cause leukemia. - Reinhart
James Sweet

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
I may have exaggerated the size a bit, looking at it now it is about 1

inch
long, and about the width of a penny, maybe a nickle, but the edges do

curl
up _into_ the oven cavity, and arcing is a very good point.

If you are unsure, just go ahead and replace it.

Prolonged exposure to microwave energy of the amplitude generated by a
microwave oven could cause leukemia. - Reinhart

Would probably be worth salvaging the control board, power transformer,
magnetron, etc from the unit though as they're all quite new and could be
used to repair other units. If you take the microwave to an appliance repair
shop they'll probably happily take it off your hands for parts.

LASERandDVDfan

Would probably be worth salvaging the control board, power transformer,
magnetron, etc from the unit though as they're all quite new and could be
used to repair other units. If you take the microwave to an appliance repair
shop they'll probably happily take it off your hands for parts.

Absolutely, and a much better alternative to just throwing it out. - Reinhart
LASERandDVDfan

This was an expensive model, a Spacemaker XL1800, that we considered
salvaging.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think we'll recycle it -- it's just
not worth the chance.

I would recommend donating the oven to an appliance repair shop. There are a
lot of parts in that oven which are still usable, plus it's one less problem
with throwing away electronics.

I would also advise that you try to get the person or party responsible for the
loss to foot the bill of a new oven. The tech's inexperience is no excuse for
this loss. - Reinhart
Michelle

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
This was an expensive model, a Spacemaker XL1800, that we considered
salvaging.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think we'll recycle it -- it's just
not worth the chance.

I would recommend donating the oven to an appliance repair shop. There

are a
lot of parts in that oven which are still usable, plus it's one less

problem
with throwing away electronics.

I would also advise that you try to get the person or party responsible

for the
loss to foot the bill of a new oven. The tech's inexperience is no excuse

for
this loss. - Reinhart

Our company was at fault - we already replaced the customer's microwave, and
were questioning whether or not to keep the damaged one for our personal use
(your absolutely right though, we didn't hesitate for a second to get them a
new microwave since we were at fault, I would have expected no less if I
were the customer).

I'm not too sure about donating it to a local electronics shop, it might be
worth a few bucks to someone and we might be able to recoup some of the loss
(we are not requiring the tech to pay for it - just chalking it up as a
business loss).

Michelle