Sam Goldwasser

"Michelle" writes:

Hi...

I have a new GE microwave (built-in)that was damaged by a sawzall. The saw
went through the back of the microwave, leaving a gash about 2 inches long
and a couple of centimeters wide. This goes through to the inside of the
oven (I can see daylight through the hole).

Is this dangerous to use as is?

Yes! There can be significant microwave leakage through a 5x2 cm hole
assuming you mean inside the over cavity. There may also be arcing at
the sharp edges of the hole.

How could someone not notice they were sawing through metal?

If so, what is the best repair method?

If it was a contractor who caused the damage, insurance.

Else, although it can be repaired, I'm not sure I'd want to be living
with something like that for the life of the oven. A metal plate needs
to be electrically bonded to the oven to cover the hole with smooth edges
on the inside to prevent arcing. Then, painted to match.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.