Default Best Electrolytic Cap for Audio/Computer Repair

I have a few boards that need caps.

One is power supply caps on a JVC a/v switcher, the other are 1000
microF 6.3v caps on a motherboard.

There are so many types out there, I have no idea what to pick.

Thanks in advance
Tom

I'm sort of getting that idea.

I haven't had time to learn what the ripple current spec is, but I
would think it should be the best (would that be highest or lowest??)

CJT wrote:

wrote:
I have a few boards that need caps.

One is power supply caps on a JVC a/v switcher, the other are 1000
microF 6.3v caps on a motherboard.

There are so many types out there, I have no idea what to pick.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Motherboards can be pretty demanding. I would pick a
105 degree C capacitor with low ESR. Mechanical
configuration is also important -- it has to fit the
space available.

yeah, ALL the 1000uf 6.3v GSC caps (5 total) had bulged tops and all
but one were oozing electrolytic.

What is the difference between low ESR and low impedance??

Another poster was using Nichicon HE's which are ultra low and ultra
life and 105C which looks like all the bases are covered.

FYI the mobo is a Gigabyte GA=7VKMLS. Its a KL266 chipset micro ATX
mobo and not worth much.

I just CAN'T resist a repair project under the B&L Stereo Microscope!!

Salvatore wrote:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:19:32 GMT, wrote:

I have a few boards that need caps.

One is power supply caps on a JVC a/v switcher, the other are 1000
microF 6.3v caps on a motherboard.

There are so many types out there, I have no idea what to pick.

Thanks in advance
Tom

PS (switcher) Caps, esp. Motherboard caps are low esr, hi temp (105
degree)

Panasonic and nichichon come to mind. I bough extra (100 ea) for future
use when repairing my MoBos. Can sell you a handful if you like. MoBos
typically require 1500 and 1000MF.

Check if your board was made several years ago (gee, maybe 5 by now) when
the industry wide bad cap problem was being experienced. If so, you may
do well to replace the lot of 'em. Search Deja (google groups) for your
board model number to be more sure of its history.

James Sweet

wrote in message
yeah, ALL the 1000uf 6.3v GSC caps (5 total) had bulged tops and all
but one were oozing electrolytic.

What is the difference between low ESR and low impedance??

Another poster was using Nichicon HE's which are ultra low and ultra
life and 105C which looks like all the bases are covered.

FYI the mobo is a Gigabyte GA=7VKMLS. Its a KL266 chipset micro ATX
mobo and not worth much.

I just CAN'T resist a repair project under the B&L Stereo Microscope!!

Sounds typical, I've seen it on graphics cards and power supplies as well.

Low ESR and low impedance are the same thing.

Ha! The best laid plans....

So I get all the Nichicon HE's picked out (need 4 types) and Digikey
and Mouser have backorders.

Forget about the 1000uF 6.3v, probably shortage due to "badcaps?"

So how do you pro's order? Do you hunt for a vendor that has
everything or simply pick your 1st vendor, buy what he has, pick 2nd
vendor, buy what he has, etc????

This could turn into a hobby trying to get these "simple" parts!

Sad to hear that about Mouser - just by luck I ordered from DigiKey.
I substituded 10v instead of 6.3v for the 1000uF HE's. (the life on
those HE's is something, eh?)

I really like Mouser's website where you can look at their catalog
pages and CLICK on the part number to order - that is nice.

TTI, I never heard of but was looking at their site. They are a
distributor, will they sell "one of these" "two of those" orders?

Any other mega electronics mailorder? I know there is Newark. MCI
used to have a small bit but now they are... well... I don't know
exactly what they are now-a-days.

I remember Allied.

Chuck Harris wrote:

wrote:
Ha! The best laid plans....

So I get all the Nichicon HE's picked out (need 4 types) and Digikey
and Mouser have backorders.

Forget about the 1000uF 6.3v, probably shortage due to "badcaps?"

So how do you pro's order? Do you hunt for a vendor that has
everything or simply pick your 1st vendor, buy what he has, pick 2nd
vendor, buy what he has, etc????

A little of both. This "just-in-time" crap sure has taken all the
fun out of engineering.

I have had rush jobs where the shipping charges run twice the cost
of the parts.

One thing, since Mouser became part of TTI, their inventory screwups
have bitten me on just about every order. You order a part, their website
says they have XX number of that part in stock. You receive a confirmation,
showing your order as complete. and then a while later, you get
a note saying your order has been shipped, but all XX of the part you
needed are on back order until 2006.

So, you dig a little, and go over to TTI's website, and find that TTI
has 5 * XX of the part in stock. So you call your Mouser girl, and tell
her, and she says, "Hmmm? It looks like we have stock after all!". They
reserve the stock, you get your delivery, and ... NOTHING! A week later,
you get XX of the parts in the mail.

-Chuck Harris

Salvatore

Tell me what you need and I can possibly supply the appropriate ones from
the panasonic line. Glad to sell off what I may not use. Good quality
caps recently purchased.

Wish I could find a few I/O chips.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:43:15 GMT, wrote:

yeah, ALL the 1000uf 6.3v GSC caps (5 total) had bulged tops and all
but one were oozing electrolytic.

What is the difference between low ESR and low impedance??

Another poster was using Nichicon HE's which are ultra low and ultra
life and 105C which looks like all the bases are covered.

FYI the mobo is a Gigabyte GA=7VKMLS. Its a KL266 chipset micro ATX
mobo and not worth much.

I just CAN'T resist a repair project under the B&L Stereo Microscope!!

Salvatore wrote:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:19:32 GMT,
wrote:

I have a few boards that need caps.

One is power supply caps on a JVC a/v switcher, the other are 1000
microF 6.3v caps on a motherboard.

There are so many types out there, I have no idea what to pick.

Thanks in advance
Tom

PS (switcher) Caps, esp. Motherboard caps are low esr, hi temp (105
degree)

Panasonic and nichichon come to mind. I bough extra (100 ea) for future
use when repairing my MoBos. Can sell you a handful if you like. MoBos
typically require 1500 and 1000MF.

Check if your board was made several years ago (gee, maybe 5 by now) when
the industry wide bad cap problem was being experienced. If so, you may
do well to replace the lot of 'em. Search Deja (google groups) for your
board model number to be more sure of its history.

UPDATE: I put the 5 mobo caps in and like a miracle, the PC works
flawlessly!

Now this was a Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS. I have a GA-7ZXR at home. and it
is a little "buggy." So I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a look at
it.

Well, wouldn't you know it, 2 "busted caps!"

Except this mobo is a capacitor extravaganza. There are (13) 1200uF
6.3v caps of this type on this board!

Let's see, the board on a good day is worth $40, will take almost $15
in parts. Hummmmmmm.... good thing I don't do this for living, eh?