Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default What are these electronilc parts

What are the devices in these two parts of a schematic

https://imgur.com/a/mnnzq3O

On the left is probably the lighting for the 2005 Solara trip computer.
The schematic calls it the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly which I
think is the part above the radio (but the schematic lists the clock
illumination separately and makes no reference to the outside
thermometer, so that just lives the sort-of trip computer.)

I understand the LEDs but why zener diodes, and another diode (since
there is 12V DC at the top and ground at the bottom)?

On the right is almost all of what the Toyota wiring manual calls the
combination meter, meaning the speedometer and other meters in the
instrument cluster. I aassume the "rheostat" is the thing it has to
adjust the brightnees, that the LED (or more than one) provides the
light, but what are the strange things at the bottom and to the right.

They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3
vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

The manual has a list of symbols and it has LED, photodiode and zener
diode, but not the strange things in that picture.

BTW, was this an appropriate post for Imgur? Most of their posts sseem
to be more entertaining.

I though I had flickr and instagram but I can't find the login info. I
don't understand all this computer stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2021 09:43 PM, micky wrote:
They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3
vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

https://byjus.com/physics/mosfet/

Too bad you have me blocked, but so it goes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote

What are the devices in these two parts of a schematic

https://imgur.com/a/mnnzq3O

On the left is probably the lighting for the 2005 Solara trip computer.
The schematic calls it the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly which
I think is the part above the radio (but the schematic lists the clock
illumination separately and makes no reference to the outside
thermometer, so that just lives the sort-of trip computer.)

I understand the LEDs but why zener diodes,

Those provide a constant voltage across the leds so that the
intensity of the leds doesn't vary with the battery voltage.

and another diode

That protects against a reversal of the battery.

(since there is 12V DC at the top and ground at the bottom)?

The 12V is nominal and will vary with the state of the battery.

On the right is almost all of what the Toyota wiring manual calls the
combination meter, meaning the speedometer and other meters in
the instrument cluster. I aassume the "rheostat" is the thing it has to
adjust the brightnees, that the LED (or more than one) provides the
light, but what are the strange things at the bottom and to the right.

N channel MOSFETs
https://www.google.com/search?q=fet+schematic+symbol

They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the
3 vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

The left-point arrow arrow means that they are N channel MOSFETs.

Only if you are into ****ing electronics.

Most of their posts sseem to be more entertaining.

I though I had flickr and instagram but I can't find the login info.
I don't understand all this computer stuff.

Its actually electronics.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:57:37 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3
vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

https://byjus.com/physics/mosfet/

Too bad you have me blocked, but so it goes.

If only it were possible to block your endlessly gossiping gob! It seems to
have a life of its own, doesn't it, lowbrowwoman? LOL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 2021-04-14 05:43, micky wrote:

What are the devices in these two parts of a schematic

https://imgur.com/a/mnnzq3O

On the left is probably the lighting for the 2005 Solara trip computer.
The schematic calls it the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly which I
think is the part above the radio (but the schematic lists the clock
illumination separately and makes no reference to the outside
thermometer, so that just lives the sort-of trip computer.)

I understand the LEDs but why zener diodes, and another diode (since
there is 12V DC at the top and ground at the bottom)?

The zeners take over when a LED fails open circuit. The other LED then
still gives some light.
The middle and bottom diodes protect against polarity reversal (one
would have been enough, but probably there are two identical assemblies
in ssries).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 14/04/2021 04:43, micky wrote:

What are the devices in these two parts of a schematic

https://imgur.com/a/mnnzq3O

On the left is probably the lighting for the 2005 Solara trip computer.
The schematic calls it the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly which I
think is the part above the radio (but the schematic lists the clock

It's not a electronics schematic, it's a electrical wiring diagram for
auto mechanics. There is a lot that Toyota have chosen not to display,
lest you not buy their spare parts as complete modules. But they have
given you a general sense of what they do.

I understand the LEDs but why zener diodes, and another diode (since
there is 12V DC at the top and ground at the bottom)?

Zener diodes to avoid spikes killing the LED, reversed biased they will
clamp the voltage to a maximum.

The other diode is reverse polarity protection, as generated by spikes,
faults or mildly idiotic users.

On the right is almost all of what the Toyota wiring manual calls the
combination meter, meaning the speedometer and other meters in the
instrument cluster. I aassume the "rheostat" is the thing it has to
adjust the brightnees, that the LED (or more than one) provides the
light, but what are the strange things at the bottom and to the right.

N-Channel Mosfets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3

vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

Try a post to sci.electronics.basics

The manual has a list of symbols and it has LED, photodiode and zener
diode, but not the strange things in that picture.

The actual reality, choice of parts etc... is up to Toyota.

BTW, was this an appropriate post for Imgur? Most of their posts sseem
to be more entertaining.

For displaying pictures for us, certainly. Preferable to the other two.

I though I had flickr and instagram but I can't find the login info. I
don't understand all this computer stuff.

If you don't understand "two factor authentication / two step
verification", I'd step very carefully on the internet, and close down
what you don't use.

As far as I'm concerned, Instagram is for kids.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:57:37 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 04/13/2021 09:43 PM, micky wrote:
They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3
vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

https://byjus.com/physics/mosfet/

Too bad you have me blocked, but so it goes.

You mean those things that blow up when they are backfed?

--
Tekkie
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

rbowman schrieb:
On 04/13/2021 09:43 PM, micky wrote:
They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3
vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

https://byjus.com/physics/mosfet/

Umm.

https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-yj-6269.jpg

Somehow worried