Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default MESR-100 METER SHORTED

Hi Group, can someone help please? I was working on a Hisense 40" LED TV, Testing the CAPS in circuit with the power on(plugged in), with the MESR-100 v2.3 meter and accidentally crossed the leads on the meter testing a cap, on the power supply and as far as i know, I only blew the fuse on the board, I removed 8 caps from the board and tested them with the meter and they all tested -0.00 I know that is not a correct reading, when initially turning on the meter it supposed to read OL now reads .729... so i tested the caps with a DMM and found three bad caps. can this meter be fixed?? any suggestions on this matter will be taken seriously, Thanks..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Usual rebooting stuff first: Remove the battery, hold down the on/off switch for 30 seconds. Then try again. Please report back.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 1:23:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Usual rebooting stuff first: Remove the battery, hold down the on/off switch for 30 seconds. Then try again. Please report back.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

did not work, still reading -0.00...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I expect that it is toast, then.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/9/19 8:21 AM, wrote:
I expect that it is toast, then.

Look at it as an expensive lesson learned the hard way.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 08:38:51 -0800 (PST), Stu jaxon
wrote:

Hi Group, can someone help please? I was working on a Hisense 40" LED TV, Testing the CAPS in circuit with the power on(plugged in), with the MESR-100 v2.3 meter and accidentally crossed the leads on the meter testing a cap, on the power supply and as far as i know, I only blew the fuse on the board, I removed 8 caps from the board and tested them with the meter and they all tested -0.00 I know that is not a correct reading, when initially turning on the meter it supposed to read OL now reads .729... so i tested the caps with a DMM and found three bad caps. can this meter be fixed?? any suggestions on this matter will be taken seriously, Thanks..

If you buy another ESR meter without voltage protection, try putting 2
power diodes in parallel across the input. Tie the cathode of one to
the anode of the other. It has protected my Bob Parker meter for
years.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

^ ^
I I
I--I--I
I I
I I
I--I--I
I I

Like this

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bob Parker meters are good to 50VDC...

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com