Old November 18th 19, 01:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default what is this high voltage display device called?

What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display. If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness. Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning. I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones. They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

Old November 18th 19, 02:08 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 11/17/19 7:27 PM, Branden wrote:
What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display.* If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness.* Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning.* I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones.* They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

Here's an image:

https://i.imgur.com/72YjfM9.jpg

Old November 18th 19, 03:16 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 11/17/19 7:27 PM, Branden wrote:
What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display.* If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness.* Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning.* I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones.* They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

Ok, I found it. Luminglas or plasma plate or plasma disk. Wow, they
are really costly now. The ones in Spencer's 20 years ago were around
$40 for 15 inch size... now it looks like at least 3 times that!

Old November 18th 19, 02:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:16:17 -0500, Branden wrote:

Ok, I found it. Luminglas or plasma plate or plasma disk. Wow, they
are really costly now. The ones in Spencer's 20 years ago were around
$40 for 15 inch size... now it looks like at least 3 times that!

Inflation innit. A price tripling over 20 years doesn't seem that
unlikely.

Old November 18th 19, 04:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 19:27:27 -0500, Branden
wrote:

What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display. If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness. Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning. I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones. They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

An ordinary clear-glass incendescent bulb makes some nice sparks
inside if you apply HF-HV to one side of the filament.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Old November 18th 19, 06:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 18/11/19 13:45, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:16:17 -0500, Branden wrote:

Ok, I found it. Luminglas or plasma plate or plasma disk. Wow, they
are really costly now. The ones in Spencer's 20 years ago were around
$40 for 15 inch size... now it looks like at least 3 times that!

Inflation innit. A price tripling over 20 years doesn't seem that
unlikely.

Much too high. In the UK, inflation from 1999 to 2019 accounted for a
price rise of about 72%.
https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/1999?amount=1
You have to go back to 1985 for inflation to triple the value in 2019.

--

Jeff
Old November 18th 19, 06:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 11/18/19 12:31 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/11/19 13:45, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:16:17 -0500, Branden wrote:

Ok, I found it.* Luminglas or plasma plate or plasma disk.* Wow, they
are really costly now.* The ones in Spencer's 20 years ago were around
$40 for 15 inch size... now it looks like at least 3 times that!

Inflation innit. A price tripling over 20 years doesn't seem that
unlikely.

Much too high. In the UK, inflation from 1999 to 2019 accounted for a
price rise of about 72%.
https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/1999?amount=1
You have to go back to 1985 for inflation to triple the value in 2019.

Looks like I should have bought one at the time. There's now way I'll
shell out 4x for it now. Oh well.

Old November 18th 19, 09:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:49:12 -0800, John Larkin wrote:

No, I meant an ordinary light bulb.

John means a lightbulb with a tungsten filament in it which burns very
brightly when a current is passed through it. You have to have attained
great age, like John and I, in order to remember such obsolete atrocities.