Old June 1st 19, 03:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bulging caps by design?

Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy
internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.
3 caps on the ps marked "G-LUX" 470uF, 10V gold and black all with
exactly the same degree of bulge. No problem with the TV. Google images
shows none of that type. No other G-Lux examples on the boards to
compare with. They have the incised Y type of end to the cap.

While inside took some data, perhaps useful for someone sometime.
Beko 22WLP530HID, 2008
video board BEKO ELEKTRONIK XZT190-R-3
main ICs
NEC DE1115GM
Sony CXD1968BR
MSJ7286
D2516AETA
ps board Grundig XST194-1V-0
LG Display LC220WEI

Old June 1st 19, 05:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 1 June 2019 15:11:12 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:
Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy
internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.
3 caps on the ps marked "G-LUX" 470uF, 10V gold and black all with
exactly the same degree of bulge. No problem with the TV. Google images
shows none of that type. No other G-Lux examples on the boards to
compare with. They have the incised Y type of end to the cap.

While inside took some data, perhaps useful for someone sometime.
Beko 22WLP530HID, 2008
video board BEKO ELEKTRONIK XZT190-R-3
main ICs
NEC DE1115GM
Sony CXD1968BR
MSJ7286
D2516AETA
ps board Grundig XST194-1V-0
LG Display LC220WEI

Lytic caps don't bulge by design. If they're bulging, they're going into failure.

NT
Old June 1st 19, 06:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 15:11:10 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy
internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.
3 caps on the ps marked "G-LUX" 470uF, 10V gold and black all with
exactly the same degree of bulge. No problem with the TV. Google images
shows none of that type. No other G-Lux examples on the boards to
compare with. They have the incised Y type of end to the cap.

While inside took some data, perhaps useful for someone sometime.
Beko 22WLP530HID, 2008
video board BEKO ELEKTRONIK XZT190-R-3
main ICs
NEC DE1115GM
Sony CXD1968BR
MSJ7286
D2516AETA
ps board Grundig XST194-1V-0
LG Display LC220WEI

These caps are known for failing. Replace all of them.
Old June 1st 19, 10:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 15:11:10 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy
internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.

I prefer to use a hi-fi or entertainment contrivance that already has
proper external speakers and better bass/treble controls. I usually
need to couple it through an isolation xformer to avoid hummmmm caused
by a ground loop.

3 caps on the ps marked "G-LUX" 470uF, 10V gold and black all with
exactly the same degree of bulge.

G-Lux is the abrev for G-Luxon capacitors:
https://www.google.com/search?q=g-luxon+capacitors
They merged with Teapo Electronic Company of Taiwan in 2005:
http://www.teapo.com/Web-En/History-en.aspx
which means those caps were probably some of the first caps out of the
factory in China.

Beko 22WLP530HID, 2008

The TV is 11 years old. Maybe it's time to replace the bulging caps.
If you can make them fit, I suggest a higher voltage rating.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 2nd 19, 12:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

The TV is 11 years old. Maybe it's time to replace the bulging caps.
If you can make them fit, I suggest a higher voltage rating.

Higher voltage is ok, but higher temperature is probably better. I
think 105 deg C is the higher ones now.

Old June 2nd 19, 03:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 19:33:08 -0400, Ralph Mowery

says...

The TV is 11 years old. Maybe it's time to replace the bulging caps.
If you can make them fit, I suggest a higher voltage rating.

Higher voltage is ok, but higher temperature is probably better. I
think 105 deg C is the higher ones now.

Yep. 105C is better.

In computahs, I've been replacing bulging electrolytics with aluminum
polymer caps. They're substantially more expensive, but that's not an
issue for simple recapping of a motherboard, where the quantities of
caps used are small. Most of the better motherboards already use
polymer caps instead of electrolytics, especially near the rather warm
CPU. I have yet to replace a polymer capacitor, while electrolytic
replacements are epidemic.

Here's the Mouser selection of 470uf 16v polymer caps:
https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Organic-Polymer-Capacitors/_/N-bmaie?P=1z0wrk5Z1z0z7l5Z1yx4aw3
Unfortunately, 16v is as high a voltage that can be commonly found.
Mouser only has one cap rated at 25v:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/A750MS477M1EAAE015?qs=M6jHmRuQorU%252BFZ0HJe9oAQ%3 D%3D

No clue what's happening in the TV business. My guess(tm) is that
they continue to use the cheapest parts possible on the assumption
that using expensive parts, which might outlast the other overheating
parts in the TV, is bad design economics.

"Bad Electrolytic Capacitor Teardown"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKphKWAkeSU (4:32)

Old June 6th 19, 03:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy
internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.

I prefer to use a hi-fi or entertainment contrivance that already has
proper external speakers and better bass/treble controls. I usually
need to couple it through an isolation xformer to avoid hummmmm caused
by a ground loop.

TVs these days have Class D balanced drivers feeding the speakers with little filtering.

This makes it a PITA to get audio out if the set does not already have that feature.

I needed to use small audio transformers and low pass filters to get the switching freq down.

And after all that, there still was no bass, I had to find a hidden sub menu to change the audio mode to full range.

mark