Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 PCIe Training Error & SATA port 0 not found

Anyone have experience with these 2 Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 errors?
(1) PCIe Training Error: Embedded Bus#00/Dev#1C/Func#4
(2) SATA port 0 not found

I'm in a small training class where the teacher's old computer died.
I told her I'd look at it where those are the two errors on the screen.
(1) https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...57074-full.jpg
(2) https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...23977-full.jpg

Opening the case, I see only this card in a long slot on the motherboard.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...59e9e-full.jpg

I don't know what the card does but it has an SATA cable to each of 4 HDDs.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...059c4-full.jpg

It seems disk 0 of the four disks is "unknown device" for some reason.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...3b67f-full.jpg

Only 3 of the 4 "Arrays" are found (What is an array? Is that a disk?)
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...c8eae-full.jpg

Do you have debugging advice that I can give to this teacher for her Dell?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 12:37:43 AM UTC-4, Oliver Wilson wrote:
[...]

My first inclination is to think that the card is a raid controller and that the first disk has failed. Part of the "conversation" is to identify each device to the controller. These are smart devices these days. I would check disk 0. The disk itself is probably OK, but its controller may have failed.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:58:50 +0000,

if you're lucky try removing and re-seating the PCIe card in case it's a
loose contact, but other people seem to have either failed capacitors or
a mismatch of PCIe generations between the card and the motherboard

I am confused.

The PCIe slots are the black unused slots I think where there is only one
card, which is that RAID card you indentified.

I did move the RAID card from the leftmost long white slot to the rightmost
long white slot and that "helped".

Both errors remained but at least the machine booted to CentOS after I did
that switch (and also reseated all cables, blew all dust out, rebooted, so
it could be any number of things that allowed the machine to boot to
CentOS).

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

I seem to see you saying that you think the 1TB drive is actually good?
Did I understand that correctly?

If the 1TB drive is likely good, then are you saying the RAID card is
likely bad?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oliver Wilson wrote:

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

I think the message about SATA port0 is referring to a SATA port on the
motherboard, not a SATA port on the RAID card.

I seem to see you saying that you think the 1TB drive is actually good?
Did I understand that correctly?

One of your photos shows the RAID card saying that all four drives and
all three arrays are good.

If the 1TB drive is likely good, then are you saying the RAID card is
likely bad?

Hopefully it is good too, after all one of your photos does show the
RAID card having detected the drives and saying the arrays are optimal.

I would move the card back to the slot it was in, different PCIe slots
can have different numbers of "lanes" and the PCIe training error you
show is referring to the motherboard and PCIe card being unable to agree
the correct number of lanes to use.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Oliver Wilson wrote:

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

I think the message about SATA port0 is referring to a SATA port on the
motherboard, not a SATA port on the RAID card.

That's the way it looked to me, as well. The SATA ports and drives on
the motherboard are normally handled by the motherboard chipset and
the BIOS.

The motherboard BIOS doesn't deal directly with the ports on the
add-on card. These are the responsibility of the card's own on-board
BIOS - the resulting drives/volumes are registered as drives, but not
as "ports" per se.

I would move the card back to the slot it was in, different PCIe slots
can have different numbers of "lanes" and the PCIe training error you
show is referring to the motherboard and PCIe card being unable to agree
the correct number of lanes to use.

Simply unplugging, and then re-seating a controller card can often be
effective at resolving problems like this. Not always, but it
sometimes works.

Make sure that the card is properly seated in the slot, both when you
first plug it in, and after you screw the card bracket to the case!

I've seen plenty of situations in which a bent bracket, or a case
having slots of a funny size, or a bit of obstruction at the bottom of
the card slot where the bracket "finger" fits in, is enough to cause
the act of "screwing down" the card to actually flex the card upwards
a bit out of the PCI or PCIe slot. Even if it works OK at first, the
card sometimes works its way upwards a bit further and the slot
connection becomes intermittent.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 12:19:02 -0400, Oliver Wilson wrote:

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

Do you have, or can you get, a Linux system that you can use to check the
disks? It might have a spare SATA connector you can connect the disk
being tested to or, easier, you could use USB-connected disk dock that
you can slot the disks being tested into.

If so, try two tests, both to be run with the disk powered up but not
mounted.

- 1 (quick) run gparted to look at the disk partitioning.
Are any errors reported?
Does the partitioning scheme look sensible and is it the same on
mirror disks?

- 2 (slower) run "fsck -p" against each partition each disk.
If any errors are reported, try using fsck to repair the failing
partition(s).

- 3 install smartd if it isn't already installed and use it to see how
many hours each disk has run and what prefailure and/or failure
indications each of them shows

I've had good quality (Fujitsu and Western Digital) disks fail at around
40-50k hours and cheap consumer crap fail at 3000 hours.

I seem to see you saying that you think the 1TB drive is actually good?
Did I understand that correctly?

If those tests show the disks are OK, THEN you should suspect the RAID
controller.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Martin Gregorie wrote:

Do you have, or can you get, a Linux system that you can use to check the
disks?

If (some of) the disks have RAID metadata on them, be very careful
attaching them to non-RAID SATA ports ...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:42:13 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:

Do you have, or can you get, a Linux system that you can use to check
the disks?

If (some of) the disks have RAID metadata on them, be very careful
attaching them to non-RAID SATA ports ...

I don't 'do' RAID (never needed to outside RAID 1 on Tandem NonStop and
Stratus fault tolerant systems, but apart from suggesting gparted or fsck
repairs (WHICH THE OP CAN EASILY IGNORE), everything else I suggested is,
or should be, read-only. How could read-only checks mess up RAID metadata?

Colour me genuinely puzzled: an explanation would be appreciated.

What I described (looking at what gparted, fsck and smartd have to say)
is no more and no less that what I do routinely to hopefully spot failing
disks before they break.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Martin Gregorie wrote:

I don't 'do' RAID (never needed to outside RAID 1 on Tandem NonStop and
Stratus fault tolerant systems, but apart from suggesting gparted or fsck
repairs (WHICH THE OP CAN EASILY IGNORE), everything else I suggested is,
or should be, read-only. How could read-only checks mess up RAID metadata?

read-only wouldn't, but an inexperienced user could accidentally write
something, and if the disks are from a RAID system, the partitions
probably don't start where partition tools are going to be looking for
them, so you'll get a false sense that there aren't valid partitions on
the disks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Burns wrote:

if the disks are from a RAID system, the partitions
probably don't start where partition tools are going to be looking for
them, so you'll get a false sense that there aren't valid partitions on

s/partitions/file-systems

the disks.

Generally to inspect RAID disks that aren't attached to their RAID
controller, you need special software, e.g.

https://www.osforensics.com/rebuild-raid.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 22:31:07 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if the disks are from a RAID system, the partitions probably don't
start where partition tools are going to be looking for them, so you'll
get a false sense that there aren't valid partitions on

s/partitions/file-systems

the disks.

Generally to inspect RAID disks that aren't attached to their RAID
controller, you need special software, e.g.

https://www.osforensics.com/rebuild-raid.html

OK, noted. Thanks.

--
Martin | martin at