Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 PCIe Training Error & SATA port 0 notfound

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Oliver Wilson wrote:

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

I think the message about SATA port0 is referring to a SATA port on the
motherboard, not a SATA port on the RAID card.

That's the way it looked to me, as well. The SATA ports and drives on
the motherboard are normally handled by the motherboard chipset and
the BIOS.

The motherboard BIOS doesn't deal directly with the ports on the
add-on card. These are the responsibility of the card's own on-board
BIOS - the resulting drives/volumes are registered as drives, but not
as "ports" per se.

I would move the card back to the slot it was in, different PCIe slots
can have different numbers of "lanes" and the PCIe training error you
show is referring to the motherboard and PCIe card being unable to agree
the correct number of lanes to use.

Simply unplugging, and then re-seating a controller card can often be
effective at resolving problems like this. Not always, but it
sometimes works.

Make sure that the card is properly seated in the slot, both when you
first plug it in, and after you screw the card bracket to the case!

I've seen plenty of situations in which a bent bracket, or a case
having slots of a funny size, or a bit of obstruction at the bottom of
the card slot where the bracket "finger" fits in, is enough to cause
the act of "screwing down" the card to actually flex the card upwards
a bit out of the PCI or PCIe slot. Even if it works OK at first, the
card sometimes works its way upwards a bit further and the slot
connection becomes intermittent.