Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Martin Gregorie[_2_] Martin Gregorie[_2_] is offline

Default Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 PCIe Training Error & SATA port 0 notfound

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 12:19:02 -0400, Oliver Wilson wrote:

My main confusion about the SATA 0 unknown is whether it's the 1TB disk
that's bad, or the RAID card that is bad.

Do you have, or can you get, a Linux system that you can use to check the
disks? It might have a spare SATA connector you can connect the disk
being tested to or, easier, you could use USB-connected disk dock that
you can slot the disks being tested into.

If so, try two tests, both to be run with the disk powered up but not
mounted.

- 1 (quick) run gparted to look at the disk partitioning.
Are any errors reported?
Does the partitioning scheme look sensible and is it the same on
mirror disks?

- 2 (slower) run "fsck -p" against each partition each disk.
If any errors are reported, try using fsck to repair the failing
partition(s).

- 3 install smartd if it isn't already installed and use it to see how
many hours each disk has run and what prefailure and/or failure
indications each of them shows

I've had good quality (Fujitsu and Western Digital) disks fail at around
40-50k hours and cheap consumer crap fail at 3000 hours.

I seem to see you saying that you think the 1TB drive is actually good?
Did I understand that correctly?

If those tests show the disks are OK, THEN you should suspect the RAID
controller.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org