Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] dansabrservices@yahoo.com is offline

Default Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 PCIe Training Error & SATA port 0 not found

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 12:37:43 AM UTC-4, Oliver Wilson wrote:
Anyone have experience with these 2 Centos Dell PowerEdge 830 errors?
(1) PCIe Training Error: Embedded Bus#00/Dev#1C/Func#4
(2) SATA port 0 not found

I'm in a small training class where the teacher's old computer died.
I told her I'd look at it where those are the two errors on the screen.
(1) https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...57074-full.jpg
(2) https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...23977-full.jpg

Opening the case, I see only this card in a long slot on the motherboard.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...59e9e-full.jpg

I don't know what the card does but it has an SATA cable to each of 4 HDDs.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...059c4-full.jpg

It seems disk 0 of the four disks is "unknown device" for some reason.
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...3b67f-full.jpg

Only 3 of the 4 "Arrays" are found (What is an array? Is that a disk?)
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019...c8eae-full.jpg

Do you have debugging advice that I can give to this teacher for her Dell?

My first inclination is to think that the card is a raid controller and that the first disk has failed. Part of the "conversation" is to identify each device to the controller. These are smart devices these days. I would check disk 0. The disk itself is probably OK, but its controller may have failed.