Old March 1st 19, 05:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default International Phone Charger

As there is a strong international presence here, I will ask for some suggestions:

My wife and I will be traveling to Kenya in May, and we (more she than I) would like to be able to charge our phones and tablets while there. I am looking for a compact device that can be charged from the wall (240VAC, 50 HZ) (we will be in 4 and 5-star resorts) yet will also include a battery for those times we are traveling without said wall.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old March 1st 19, 06:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Most chargers/wall warts will work on 100V-250V, so all you probably need is a plug adapter. This does not apply to most high-power devices like hair dryers, curlers, irons, etc., but most tourist hotels provide hair dryers.

I think Kenya uses the same plug as the UK. If you cannot find t at your local luggage/travel store, you can surely find them for sale at the airport.. Your hotel will probably have them to loan out at the front desk or the concierge. (Some hotels have wall sockets that accept foreign plugs without changing the voltage.)

Bon voyage!

Old March 1st 19, 07:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 12:33:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Most chargers/wall warts will work on 100V-250V, so all you probably need is a plug adapter. This does not apply to most high-power devices like hair dryers, curlers, irons, etc., but most tourist hotels provide hair dryers.

I think Kenya uses the same plug as the UK. If you cannot find t at your local luggage/travel store, you can surely find them for sale at the airport. Your hotel will probably have them to loan out at the front desk or the concierge. (Some hotels have wall sockets that accept foreign plugs without changing the voltage.)

Bon voyage!

Thank you.

Yes, Kenya uses the G plug. And, yes, all our chargers are 'smart' that way.. What we were hoping for was a suggestion towards a rechargeable external battery pack, for those times we are away from the big hotels and are staying in the luxury tents. My wife is a heavy user of tablet-based apps, so we will not be able to count on hers holding a charge for several days.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old March 1st 19, 07:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

It sounds like you want something that will supply 5V to a USB port. Even f there are technological differences, I would guess that the biggest difference in cost (kw-h/$) would depend on whether you but at retail or with a discount, and not on the brand or packaging cosmetics. My only concern would be that ones with a high energy density (kw-h/kg) might spontaneously catch fire, and I do not know of any reviews that address this issue (I think these would all be Li-iion, and you are not allowed put these in your checked baggage). I would get one in the $10-$20 range and test it out at home, and maybe buy another one if it does not have enough capacity (do you know the discharge rate for the tablet?).
Old March 1st 19, 07:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

My only concern would be that ones with a high energy density (kw-h/kg) might spontaneously catch fire, and I do not know of any reviews that address this issue (I think these would all be Li-iion, and you are not allowed put these in your checked baggage).

Nailed it!

That is also our concern. And why we are looking for actual travelers who have used such a device in practice.

Thanks again!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old March 3rd 19, 04:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 08:03:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

As there is a strong international presence here, I will ask for some suggestions:

My wife and I will be traveling to Kenya in May, and we (more she than I) would like to be able to charge our phones and tablets while there. I am looking for a compact device that can be charged from the wall (240VAC, 50 HZ) (we will be in 4 and 5-star resorts) yet will also include a battery for those times we are traveling without said wall.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Most modern phones and tablets will charge from a 240V wall socket.
240V is standard where live (UK). I've been to many other countries
and not usually had a problem with the supplies apart from those that
have two pin sockets so the plug on my saver wouldn't fit. A long time
ago I had a serious problem on a ship. It had a DC supply so nothing I
had would charge!

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com