Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Another EPROM question.

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:35:54 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

It would be doubtful if you could. The eprom will give a bunch of
hexidecimal numbers. You would need a program that could convert that
to the ladder.

That's what I thought. Maybe I can get FANUC or MIYANO to read some
EPROMs and provide me with a ladder printout if I send the devices to
them.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 11:07:16 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2017/03/31 10:35 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

It would be doubtful if you could. The eprom will give a bunch of
hexidecimal numbers. You would need a program that could convert that
to the ladder.

Not to mention there is likely CPU operating code which you would need
to learn or find a code disassembler. Not for the faint of heart!

If there is a service shop like mine in your area and they have classic
tools such as a Fluke 9010 or 9100 then they can read the EPROM(s) by
simply pulling the CPU and exercising the motherboard under proper power.

Probably...

John :-#)#

The whole problem is that there is only one company in the Puget Sound
area that I could find that can work on my machine. There used to be
several but so many shops went out of business because of Boeing
boom/bust cycles that CNC services companies also went out of
business. And since I'm on an island that makes service calls even
harder to get.
Eric

Eprom help. David Farber Electronics Repair 0 December 2nd 05 12:19 AM
RCA EPROM QUESTION? John Del Electronics Repair 4 January 24th 05 01:05 PM
2532 EPROM to 2732 EPROM Steve Lewinsky Electronics 1 January 23rd 05 07:28 PM
Eprom Jonesy82 Electronics Repair 0 November 25th 04 04:55 AM
FA: Needham's EMP-20 EPROM Burner / Datarase EPROM Eraser ottodog Electronics 0 June 27th 03 02:42 AM