DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Another EPROM question. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/588257-another-eprom-question.html)

[email protected] March 31st 17 06:32 PM

Another EPROM question.

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

Ralph Mowery March 31st 17 06:35 PM

Another EPROM question.

In article ,
says...

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

It would be doubtful if you could. The eprom will give a bunch of
hexidecimal numbers. You would need a program that could convert that
to the ladder.

John Robertson March 31st 17 07:07 PM

Another EPROM question.

On 2017/03/31 10:35 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

It would be doubtful if you could. The eprom will give a bunch of
hexidecimal numbers. You would need a program that could convert that
to the ladder.

Not to mention there is likely CPU operating code which you would need
to learn or find a code disassembler. Not for the faint of heart!

If there is a service shop like mine in your area and they have classic
tools such as a Fluke 9010 or 9100 then they can read the EPROM(s) by
simply pulling the CPU and exercising the motherboard under proper power.

Probably...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

[email protected] April 1st 17 01:29 AM

Another EPROM question.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:35:54 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I would like to read what is in the old EPROMs in my machine. They
contain the ladder programming for the machine. I cannot get a copy of
this ladder from Miyano, who made the lathe and wrote the ladder. Is
there a way to read what is programmed in these EPROMs? I guess I
should ask if there is a way I can read what is in them. I know what a
ladder looks like and can read one but I don't know if one can be read
from a device just by downloading and using a text reader to see what
is there.
Eric

It would be doubtful if you could. The eprom will give a bunch of
hexidecimal numbers. You would need a program that could convert that
to the ladder.

That's what I thought. Maybe I can get FANUC or MIYANO to read some
EPROMs and provide me with a ladder printout if I send the devices to
them.
Eric

[email protected] April 1st 17 01:35 AM

Another EPROM question.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 11:07:16 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

[...]

The whole problem is that there is only one company in the Puget Sound
area that I could find that can work on my machine. There used to be
several but so many shops went out of business because of Boeing
boom/bust cycles that CNC services companies also went out of
business. And since I'm on an island that makes service calls even
harder to get.
Eric