Odie Ferrous

Default NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need magnification when
working on SMT components with a soldering iron.

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

I believe I need around 5x magnification.

If anyone knows the proper name for this beast, or could help me in the
UK, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Norm Dresner

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message
My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need magnification when
working on SMT components with a soldering iron.

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

I believe I need around 5x magnification.

I use an Optivisor -- a headband mounted binocular magnifier that's been
sold under this brand name for at least 40 years. Magnifications range from
2x to 10x with available lenses.

Norm

geo73

You can try a used viewfinder
from an old camcorder.
Simple and low cost solution,
depending from the eyes using it ;-)
Only problem is that you must put it
near the component you want to check.

Eugen T

What about those big lamps with built-in lense in the middle?

"geo73" wrote in message
You can try a used viewfinder
from an old camcorder.
Simple and low cost solution,
depending from the eyes using it ;-)
Only problem is that you must put it
near the component you want to check.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

Considered modifying a TV camera's optics and using a high-quality B&W monitor?
Odie Ferrous

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

Considered modifying a TV camera's optics and using a high-quality B&W monitor?

Thanks to your VERY interesting replies!

I've found exactly what I need here

http://www.greenweld.co.uk/scripts/s...0015#aST700015

(Sorry about wrap.)

Company is greenweld.co.uk and part no. ST700015

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts