DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/45320-needed-magnification-assist-smt-soldering.html)

Odie Ferrous June 9th 04 03:35 PM

NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need magnification when
working on SMT components with a soldering iron.

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

I believe I need around 5x magnification.

If anyone knows the proper name for this beast, or could help me in the
UK, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Norm Dresner June 9th 04 04:12 PM

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message
My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need magnification when
working on SMT components with a soldering iron.

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

I believe I need around 5x magnification.

I use an Optivisor -- a headband mounted binocular magnifier that's been
sold under this brand name for at least 40 years. Magnifications range from
2x to 10x with available lenses.

Norm

geo73 June 9th 04 09:06 PM

NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

You can try a used viewfinder
from an old camcorder.
Simple and low cost solution,
depending from the eyes using it ;-)
Only problem is that you must put it
near the component you want to check.

Eugen T June 9th 04 11:37 PM

NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

What about those big lamps with built-in lense in the middle?

John Smith June 10th 04 01:05 AM

NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

What about those big lamps with built-in lense in the middle?

Those are called DAZZERS.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards June 10th 04 01:24 AM

NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

Considered modifying a TV camera's optics and using a high-quality B&W monitor?

Odie Ferrous June 10th 04 07:31 AM

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

Ideally I would like a screen around the size of an A4 piece of paper,
on a stand, but I am unable to find anything even remotely like this, or
even remotely suitable.

Considered modifying a TV camera's optics and using a high-quality B&W monitor?

Thanks to your VERY interesting replies!

I've found exactly what I need here

http://www.greenweld.co.uk/scripts/s...0015#aST700015

(Sorry about wrap.)

Company is greenweld.co.uk and part no. ST700015

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts