Perry

Default Question about Toshiba receiver SA-7100

Hi all - I have a real nice late 70s era Toshiba receiver that has a
problem.

It started out with a noisy right channel, sort of a crackling sound every
so often (all inputs and thru the headphones as well). I took the cover off
and tapped the output transistors with a pen, and discovered that it made
the sound worse and then eventually the sound went away.

The unit worked fine for about a week, then it made a large POP and now it
has no output (in either channel). In fact, it never really comes on all
the way. What I mean by that is, the "click" you usually hear after a few
seconds when turning it on never happens now. I checked all the fuses
inside by the way. Everything lights up as usual, so it appears to be
getting power.

Is it likely the transistors finally shorted or otherwise gave up?

Any ideas are appreciated. I'd like to get it working again, I love the
sound of this unit. Thanks.

Perry
Nigel

Perry wrote in
:

[...]

It sounds as if you had some dry joints in the output stage. Tapping the
transistors didn't help one bit, and now it appears that the protection
relay is keeping the output stage turned off to protect the speakers.

You'll need to check for obvious DJs first, then decide whether you've
shagged the output stage.

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Stereo receiver hit by lightning John Smith Electronics Repair 7 March 1st 04 08:39 PM
Toshiba PDR-M700 digital camera power supply question Ken_B Electronics Repair 3 December 20th 03 03:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Maybe I should ask this question again. on a Toshiba. Mike Electronics Repair 2 November 8th 03 04:29 AM