Jens Ratsey

Default Pioneer rear projection convergence

I posted this to the home theater group too, but thought here might
also be worth a shot.

I have a Pioneer SD-P5183 rear projection TV that doesn't work
properly after moving house. The red gun is way out of convergence on
the bottom 3 cross hairs. The top and middle 3 are fine and the blue
and green guns are fine across all 9 points.

The convergence control on the remote doesn't seem to help. I took
the back and the screen off the set hoping to find some manual
adjustment controls, but can't find anything.

The red gun is probably a good 1.5" too high. The mirror looks to be
in place and all 3 colours are in focus.

Can anyone offer any advice?

J.

Ampdoc

Replace STK4277SL on convergence panel. Resolder all bad connections on
convergence assembly and power/deflection board. Then you will be good to
go!

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
"Jens Ratsey" wrote in message
om...
I posted this to the home theater group too, but thought here might
also be worth a shot.

I have a Pioneer SD-P5183 rear projection TV that doesn't work
properly after moving house. The red gun is way out of convergence on
the bottom 3 cross hairs. The top and middle 3 are fine and the blue
and green guns are fine across all 9 points.

The convergence control on the remote doesn't seem to help. I took
the back and the screen off the set hoping to find some manual
adjustment controls, but can't find anything.

The red gun is probably a good 1.5" too high. The mirror looks to be
in place and all 3 colours are in focus.

Can anyone offer any advice?

J.

Jens Ratsey

"Ampdoc" wrote in message ...
Replace STK4277SL on convergence panel. Resolder all bad connections on
convergence assembly and power/deflection board. Then you will be good to
go!

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
227 S. 4th St.
Selmer, TN 38375
731-645-3311

Thanks for the replies.

I just called a local repair shop and Pioneer dealer. I described the
problem and he estimated around $600 in repairs. He said he'd need to
take out all the circuits and resolder everything, plus of course come
and get the thing.

The estimate has put me off that since I intend to replace the set
eventually with a low to medium end overhead projector that seem to be
around the $1,200 range. It's also no longer my primary set.

I'm not a complete moron with a soldering iron and I'd be happy to
check the boards myself if it weren't for the nasty voltages in a TV
set. Someone suggested getting hold of a service manual - would I be
able to do anything myself (remember I'm in NO way qualified as a TV
repairman!) and if so, how would I go about getting one?

Or is the box just destined for permanent retirement?

J.

Alan Harriman

On 10 Feb 2004 07:21:35 -0800, (Jens Ratsey) wrote:

"Ampdoc" wrote in message ...
Replace STK4277SL on convergence panel. Resolder all bad connections on
convergence assembly and power/deflection board. Then you will be good to
go!

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
227 S. 4th St.
Selmer, TN 38375
731-645-3311

Thanks for the replies.

I just called a local repair shop and Pioneer dealer. I described the
problem and he estimated around $600 in repairs. He said he'd need to
take out all the circuits and resolder everything, plus of course come
and get the thing.

Check around a little more. I think you could get it done for about half that. A
convergence failure is a normally fairly routine repair. You don't necessarily
have to go to a Pioneer ASC, but be sure they are familiar and have experience
with your set. That's still a good model.

Alan Harriman

The estimate has put me off that since I intend to replace the set
eventually with a low to medium end overhead projector that seem to be
around the $1,200 range. It's also no longer my primary set.

I'm not a complete moron with a soldering iron and I'd be happy to
check the boards myself if it weren't for the nasty voltages in a TV
set. Someone suggested getting hold of a service manual - would I be
able to do anything myself (remember I'm in NO way qualified as a TV
repairman!) and if so, how would I go about getting one?

Or is the box just destined for permanent retirement?

J.

Ampdoc

Where are you locatd, if they're getting those rates for a 250-300.00 job I
need to move!
Stk4277 should be found for less than $80 and that's if they are marking it
up a lot. They shouldn't have to even pick it up to fix that. Check
www.pioneerelectronics.com for an ASC in your area.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
"Ampdoc" wrote in message

[...]

Jens Ratsey-Woodroffe

I'm on Long Island, NY in the Smithtown vicinity. The place I called was
the first on the ASC list at PioneerElectronics.com. I'll try another one
today.

If there's anyone in the area who wants to make a quick buck let me know!

J.

. ..

"Ampdoc" wrote in message

[...]

Ken G.

Here we go again with rip off repair shops ..
getting the chassis out far enough to get the board out is quite a chore
you have to take off alot of wires/plugs .
If you can solder `very well` that may be all it needs . It would be
hard to get shocked in a big screen tv set doing a convergence board .
If you cant try to get help taking it to a reasonable repair shop to
avoid their 100$ travel time .

Jens Ratsey-Woodroffe

Ken - do you know where I can get hold of a service manual or a diagram of
the internals so I'd at least know which board I was supposed to be looking
at?

I have the screen and back off the TV and it all looks reasonably easy to
get to. Are there any obvious 'don't touch this' items (re voltages)?

J.

"Ken G." wrote in message
Here we go again with rip off repair shops ..
getting the chassis out far enough to get the board out is quite a chore
you have to take off alot of wires/plugs .
If you can solder `very well` that may be all it needs . It would be
hard to get shocked in a big screen tv set doing a convergence board .
If you cant try to get help taking it to a reasonable repair shop to
avoid their 100$ travel time .

Ampdoc

You can get the manual at:
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=ARP2880

But you really don't need it for this, put the back back on, remove the
speaker grille, remove 6 screws securing the cover underneath the grille,
you will find the convergence PCB attached to that panel. Be certain to mark
the wires when you unplug the panel as on some sets Pioneer did not
color-code the plug and socket, make sure you reconnect them correctly. The
STK is underneath the large heatsink, remove the PCB from the holder,
desolder the STK leads, and then desolder the screw holding the heatsink,
remove the 2 screws then heatsink & IC simultaneously, and replace with new
STK! As to the other shop's estimate, it is possible you were being quoted
for replacement of the entire convergence assembly, whitch is $226.00 Plus
S&H, and return shipping for the core. If the board is replaced a set-up
would need to be done, but if you only replace the IC 99% of the time you
will be well within factory specifications and only need minor adjustments
in the user menu. Some shops never learn to go to component level as
Pioneer's warranty policy is board replacement.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.

et...

"Ken G." wrote in message
Here we go again with rip off repair shops ..
getting the chassis out far enough to get the board out is quite a chore
you have to take off alot of wires/plugs .
If you can solder `very well` that may be all it needs . It would be
hard to get shocked in a big screen tv set doing a convergence board .
If you cant try to get help taking it to a reasonable repair shop to
avoid their 100$ travel time .

Jens Ratsey-Woodroffe

Update ... I've got the convergence board out and located the STK. I don't
see any STK 'leads' but I do see where it's soldered to the board. Will
have a closer look.

But the problem now is where to locate that part! I've searched online and
everywhere that has it seems to have a minimum order value in the $350 -
$500 range. Do you know where I can order it?

J.

"Jens Ratsey-Woodroffe" wrote in message
t...
Thanks Jammy - that was exactly what I was hoping for. I'll take another
look at the box later today and let you know how I get on removing the IC.

J.

.. .

"Ken G." wrote in message
Here we go again with rip off repair shops ..
getting the chassis out far enough to get the board out is quite a

chore
you have to take off alot of wires/plugs .
If you can solder `very well` that may be all it needs . It would

be
hard to get shocked in a big screen tv set doing a convergence board

..
If you cant try to get help taking it to a reasonable repair shop to
avoid their 100$ travel time .

Alan Harriman

But the problem now is where to locate that part! I've searched online and
everywhere that has it seems to have a minimum order value in the $350 -
$500 range. Do you know where I can order it?

Check out Tritronics: http://www.tritronicsinc.com/index.html

Alan Harriman

Jens Ratsey-Woodroffe

Thanks Alan - part ordered! A little more than the Pioneer site that Jammy
mentioned but I'd already ordered it when his post showed.

Be sure to check back here in a week or so after I've installed and and
start asking ... "Now what?" ;-)