JS

Default Pioneer DV-C503 won't play CDs anymore

I have a Pioneer DV-C503 that has stopped playing CDs completely. It does
still play DVD movies without problems.

When you load the CD, it attempts to read it, and you can hear a faint
clicking noise. I believe this noise is the laser pickup trying to read.
When it decides it can't read the CD, it opens the tray.

I have search the net, but have not been able to find this problem. Any
ideas? This player is about 2 - 2.5 years old, and has not had allot of
use.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

Mark D. Zacharias

I would guess the laser pickup. Somewhat unusual failure mode but I have
seen it before. Pioneer pickups are of a dual-wave design, so the DVD may
continue to work for some time.

Mark Z.

"JS" wrote in message
I have a Pioneer DV-C503 that has stopped playing CDs completely. It does
still play DVD movies without problems.

When you load the CD, it attempts to read it, and you can hear a faint
clicking noise. I believe this noise is the laser pickup trying to read.
When it decides it can't read the CD, it opens the tray.

I have search the net, but have not been able to find this problem. Any
ideas? This player is about 2 - 2.5 years old, and has not had allot of
use.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

ang

"JS" wrote in message ...
I have a Pioneer DV-C503 that has stopped playing CDs completely. It does
still play DVD movies without problems.

When you load the CD, it attempts to read it, and you can hear a faint
clicking noise. I believe this noise is the laser pickup trying to read.
When it decides it can't read the CD, it opens the tray.

I have search the net, but have not been able to find this problem. Any
ideas? This player is about 2 - 2.5 years old, and has not had allot of
use.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

Mine does the same thing. I noticed it would play older CDs 1 out of
10 times that I loaded them. I also noticed that it always plays CD-Rs
without fail. Trying to play newer CDs causes it to make the clicking
sound you mentioned. Once that happens, I have to turn it off to get
it to play anything.
Kurtis Bahr

This could be a couple different things. As the RF level from the pickup
decreases the Digital Audio will dropout long before the analog video and
sound. Also the spindle motor centering could be off adjustment as CD's
require a more precise centering than LD's.

If digital audio works when playing LD's then the first thing I would look
at is spindle motor centering.

Kurtis

"ang" wrote in message
om...
"JS" wrote in message

[...]

jakdedert

I've got a Magnevox unit which exhibited the same symptoms. It worked fine
for a year, then it would only play DVD's. Sporadically, an audio CD would
boot up, then it would work on any factory CD (it has never worked for CD
R...states in the manual that it won't) *for that session only.* Eventually
it quit playing any disk, CD or DVD...would constantly seek, then eventually
display 'disk error.'

When I finally got into it, I reseated cables, cleaned the lense, and it's
worked fine since. I don't know which solved the problem, or if either did,
but it's worked fine for the last three months.

jak

"Kurtis Bahr" wrote in message
This could be a couple different things. As the RF level from the pickup
decreases the Digital Audio will dropout long before the analog video and
sound. Also the spindle motor centering could be off adjustment as CD's
require a more precise centering than LD's.

If digital audio works when playing LD's then the first thing I would look
at is spindle motor centering.

Kurtis

"ang" wrote in message
om...
"JS" wrote in message

[...]

Junior Member

Anyone found a fix for this crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdedert
[...]

wrote in message
om...
"JS"
wrote in message
[...]

jakdedert

jakdedert Wrote:
I've got a Magnevox unit which exhibited the same symptoms. It
worked fine
for a year, then it would only play DVD's. Sporadically, an audio CD
would
boot up, then it would work on any factory CD (it has never worked
for CD
R...states in the manual that it won't) *for that session only.*
Eventually
it quit playing any disk, CD or DVD...would constantly seek, then
eventually
display 'disk error.'

When I finally got into it, I reseated cables, cleaned the lense, and
it's
worked fine since. I don't know which solved the problem, or if
either did,
but it's worked fine for the last three months.

jak

Responding to a rather old post, eh? Like I said above, there's one
possible fix. I don't know when the OP came out, but my unit's still
working....

jak

Pioneer XR-P560F Mark Carroll Electronics Repair 1 November 11th 03 11:23 AM
Sears RAS Side Play Jerry Woodworking 2 August 19th 03 04:09 PM
Anyone have a source for Pioneer parts? (was: Pioneer VS. Lightning) DFerree923 Electronics Repair 2 August 9th 03 04:10 PM
Need Pioneer Service Remote GGF1381 Mike Berger Electronics Repair 2 August 5th 03 11:54 PM
Pioneer 60" Projection Tv Victor J. Servin Electronics Repair 6 July 31st 03 04:11 PM