Jerry

Default Sears RAS Side Play

I have an old Sears 10" model 113.23100 RAS (about 30 years old).
When the arm hits index stops at 90 and 45 degrees, there is an
annoying amount of side-side play noted when you push side-to-side
when the index pin is engaged. The play can be locked out by
tightening the hand screw knob but you can affect the square and miter
angle slightly by the movement. When looking at the owner's manual,
the adjustment for what they call "looseness (movement) of column tube
in column support. (arm end play)" does not seem to help. They
indicate to feel for movement where the rising tube enters the lower,
stationary column. There is little or no movement here. The movement
is felt where the arm attaches to the rising tube and I don't see any
adjustment procedure for this location. Apparently, there is some
"slop" in the index pin seating but I don't see how to adjust it. Any
advice would be appreciated. Thanks - Jerry Solomon, Slidell, LA

lonestar1

My RAS had the same problem after it was moved in the back of a pickup. The
locking pin turned out to be bent (there is a slot machined at the end of
the pin which makes the material on either side susceptible to bend under
lateral force). I ordered a new pin from Craftsman and the replacement part
looked like it was made in someone's garage, AND it was incorrectly
machined. It was too big for the hole and would not slide in the hole to
release the locking mechanism. Sears was no help, so I returned the part
and took the old pin out to the shed with a cold chisel and 3 lb. sledge.
After some careful realignment in the vise to spread the sides of the pin
back to their original shape, the pin now works better than new and locks in
at a perfect 90 degrees every time.

Net is that there is no adjustment, and be wary of replacement parts.

Jim
"Jerry" wrote in message
[...]

Jerry

Jim - Thanks for the advice. Do you recall how you removed the pin?
I have the exploded parts diagram but it's not that helpful.

Regards,

Jerry

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:23:18 GMT, "lonestar1"
wrote:

[...]

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Whitney Punch NO 24 Spindle Play Dr Jimmy Metalworking 1 October 29th 03 01:36 AM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
Old Sears Air Compressor - Help Please jim Metalworking 9 August 15th 03 09:16 AM