BH

Default CTC187CJ3 Hourglass shaped image

Model: F32672SB
Chassis: CTC187CJ3

I am trying to repair this 6-7 year old RCA 32" colottrack TV that has
a hourglass shaped picture. After reading multiple suggestions in
this group to check the main 680uf / 200v cap, I did. I then opened
the case and inspecting the board, where I also found that the degauss
thermistor RT4201T had become de-soldered. I re-soldered the degauss
thermistor and replaced the cap with one from digkey.com (p/n
P11731-ND). I turned the TV on, the picture was restored to full
size, and then I watched it for a hour or so. It continued to be work
as desired for a few power cycles over the coarse of 24 hours. Now
the hourglass shape has returned and the degauss filter has split into
two pieces. I am not an expert, I did take some electronic classes in
college, and would like to fix own TV. Though I doubt it is related
(it is my main motivation for getting my TV fixed) the hourglass
shaped picture began to happen shortly after I connected my DirectTV
DVR. So now I am forced to watch all the great shows Tivo records
with a distorted display. Any advice on how to fix the hourglass
shape and where to purchase the degauss thermistor from is greatly
appreciated.
MarkC

Any number of bad parts could cause a bowed picture but the usual
suspect for a bowed picture on a CTC187 is pin-cushion capacitor C4407
(a blue colored square type cap which usually bulges out on the sides
when bad) which is located in the upper right section of the main board
(looking at it from the back). Bad solder joints on CR4403 can also
cause the bowed symptom on this chassis. The degaussing thermistor which
broke in half (has nothing to do with the bowed pic) can be ordered
along with C4407 (assuming it's bad) at any RCA/GE parts dealer. I use
Ness at 800 375 3513.
When resoldering thermistors start at the edge & work toward the center
otherwise they heat up too quick in the middle then expand & crack. It's
best to use a 25-35 watt iron to resolder them.
Mark

BH

Mark,

Thank you very much for the prompt, accurate, response. Upon your
suggestions I re-soldered the diode (CR4403) and the pictures has
returned to full size. After I verified the display was functioning
as desired, I replaced the thermistor. Hopefully the diode was all
that was causing the hourglass shape. While I was at the electronics
supplier, I purchased the cap you suggested, just in case. I
appreciate your advice.

Thanks again,
Brady Horn