Rob

Default Toshiba Television - distorted image

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out a problem with a
Toshiba 32" television (and save me some bucks along the way too)...

Any image, from any source (TV, Video, etc.) appears distorted...
there is a black band at the bottom of the screen, the entire image is
kind of "smooshed" upwards... for instance, my mother says "People
look like the Coneheads!" Anything at the bottom of the image is very
compressed, and as look farther up the picture, the image spreads out
abnormally. So, a person standing on screen has very short stubby
legs, slightly compressed body, and then a huge head, followed by an
even larger forehead!

To me, this sounds like a tube problem... but I don't know televisions
very well. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Rob
robobo1 at myrealbox dot com
Sofie

Rob:
Very definitely NOT a "tube" problem but rather some defective electrolytic
caps and maybe other faulty components and soldering in the vertical
deflection circuitry and possibly some other faults.
Do NOT continue to operate the television with this problem, it will NOT get
better, it will only get worse to the point that more extensive failures
(more $$$$) can occur.
This should not be a very expensive repair at most service shops, at the
very least take it to a shop for a repair cost estimate so you can make an
intelligent repair decision.
Considering the dangerous and lethal shock hazards inside your television
even when it is turned off and unplugged.... and the necessary electronics
knowledge, repair experience, specialized test equipment, proper tools,
parts, etc that would be needed to fix your television, this is not a
do-it-yourself home repair item for the novice. Take it to a service shop
for a proper and safe repair right away..... don't wait too long or the
repair price can be much higher.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie