B.G. Khang

Default dim lcd screen

I have a two years old laptop computer (model :Toshiba satellite 3005-S304).
I have been using it intensively for the last two years, day and night and
at work and home. As you expect, the screen is being worn out, most of time,
it is very dim I cannot read any character on it. It occasionally produces a
normal brightness at starting or when I change from analog monitor mode, but
in a short period of time and soon it goes back to the dim state. I have
been surfing in the internet to get information about how to fix this
problem. But I haven't gotten a clear answer. Is it caused by the so called
"inverter" or by "backlight". or both malfunctioning? The computer works
fine otherwise.

Thanks,

James Sweet

"B.G. Khang" wrote in message
I have a two years old laptop computer (model :Toshiba satellite

3005-S304).
I have been using it intensively for the last two years, day and night and
at work and home. As you expect, the screen is being worn out, most of

time,
it is very dim I cannot read any character on it. It occasionally produces

normal brightness at starting or when I change from analog monitor mode,

but
in a short period of time and soon it goes back to the dim state. I have
been surfing in the internet to get information about how to fix this
problem. But I haven't gotten a clear answer. Is it caused by the so

called
"inverter" or by "backlight". or both malfunctioning? The computer works
fine otherwise.

Thanks,

It's hard to say which, I would guess the backlight tube is wearing out
though, there may be two tubes and one is working intermittently. The
inverter is a small board that provides high voltage to the tube(s), it
could be malfunctioning as well.

Andre

"James Sweet" wrote in message news:DleQb.106581$sv6.511444@attbi_s52...
"B.G. Khang" wrote in message
I have a two years old laptop computer (model :Toshiba satellite

3005-S304).
I have been using it intensively for the last two years, day and night and
at work and home. As you expect, the screen is being worn out, most of

time,
it is very dim I cannot read any character on it. It occasionally produces

normal brightness at starting or when I change from analog monitor mode,

but
in a short period of time and soon it goes back to the dim state. I have
been surfing in the internet to get information about how to fix this
problem. But I haven't gotten a clear answer. Is it caused by the so

called
"inverter" or by "backlight". or both malfunctioning? The computer works
fine otherwise.

www.man-machine.com

also try Digikey etc for the tubes, if you are careful it is a simple
enough repair. I usually salvage tubes from old displays when I find
them but there are quite a few different ones and you need to get an
exact match.

The inverter hardly ever breaks, unless the HV transformer or driver
transistors/IC fails or shorts internally, usually this blows the
fuse.

-A