torgoch

Default vertical jitter problem (SONY GDM-200PS)

Hi,

I got a used SONY GDM-200PS monitor. It is a really nice 17" monitor.
However, it has a vertical jitter problem. The screen on left and
right sides are distorted. It looks like:

\ /
/ \
| |
\ /
/ \
\ /
/ \

The image at the center also has the vertical distortion, but it is
not as bad
as left or right side.

I suspect it may be as simple as a bad Cap. Would anyone enligthen me
how to
fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Torgoch
torgoch

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the tips and URLs. I just come back from a trip and read
your message. Sorry for the late response.

It seems no luck for me, since I bought the complete monitor for
40CAD, and hope to repair it by just replacing some caps. Now the
result is out of control. The new CXA2043Q ($36.39) will almost cost
another used monitor, and I think that I have only 50% confidence in
the success of soldering operation.

Anyway, your message may save me a lot of time in searching bad caps.
Again, many thanks and best wishes.

Torgoch

(Wayne) wrote in message news:400aecaf.2394553@shawnews...
On 18 Jan 2004 10:03:05 -0800,
(torgoch)
wrote:

Hi,

I got a used SONY GDM-200PS monitor. It is a really nice 17" monitor.
However, it has a vertical jitter problem. The screen on left and
right sides are distorted. It looks like:

\ /
/ \
| |
\ /
/ \
\ /
/ \

The image at the center also has the vertical distortion, but it is
not as bad
as left or right side.

I suspect it may be as simple as a bad Cap. Would anyone enligthen me
how to
fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Torgoch

The GDM-200PS is a Sony N3 chassis; most likely failure is CXA2043Q,
which results in many deflection-related faults, a common failure in
N3 chassis. Requires above average soldering skills to replace without
destroying the mainboard traces. You can download the service manual
here
http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html
MCM http://www.mcmelectronics.com/ has the IC for $36.39 - best price
you are likely to find.