Kelly

Default MITSUBISHI VS-5007r , Image gohsting ?

Image ghosting to the right of faces,buildings..
This manufactured in 92, would it be worth fixing ?
I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks for your time.

Kelly

panicx at hotmail
Jerry G.

The ghosting can be from a number of things such as warn caps or other parts
in the video amp sections, or the CRT is weak. considering the age of the
set, I would suspect that the CRT is most likely weak to begin with. Also,
investing money in an old set is taking a gamble that after it is serviced,
that nothing else will fail in a short time.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Kelly" wrote in message
m...
Image ghosting to the right of faces,buildings..
This manufactured in 92, would it be worth fixing ?
I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks for your time.

Kelly

panicx at hotmail

Leonard Caillouet

We fix these all the time. Most of them just have dozens of bad caps.
Typically about 120. If the CRTs are in god shape the repair can make sense
if the servicer is efficient, but it will not be cheap. I would not
recommend it unless you take is to someone who does lots of them because
there are lots of pitfalls if you don't know where to look for problems.
Also, make sure your servicer has a good CRT tester. No point in messing
with it at all if the tubes aren't in really good shape.

The up side to repairing these is that if you can get a couple of more years
out of it you will probably pay for the cost of the repair with the money
you save as the price of HD set with which you will likely replace it come
down.

Leonard Caillouet

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The ghosting can be from a number of things such as warn caps or other

parts
in the video amp sections, or the CRT is weak. considering the age of the
set, I would suspect that the CRT is most likely weak to begin with.

Also,
investing money in an old set is taking a gamble that after it is

serviced,
that nothing else will fail in a short time.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Kelly" wrote in message
m...
Image ghosting to the right of faces,buildings..
This manufactured in 92, would it be worth fixing ?
I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks for your time.

Kelly

panicx at hotmail

H. R. Bob Hofmann

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The ghosting can be from a number of things such as warn caps or other

parts
in the video amp sections, or the CRT is weak. considering the age of the
set, I would suspect that the CRT is most likely weak to begin with.

Also,
investing money in an old set is taking a gamble that after it is

serviced,
that nothing else will fail in a short time.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Kelly" wrote in message
m...
Image ghosting to the right of faces,buildings..
This manufactured in 92, would it be worth fixing ?
I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks for your time.

Kelly

panicx at hotmail

Everyone has assumed that it is not an antenna mismatch/signal
reflection problem. That can be verified by running another set in
place of the ?? set. There could also be problems with the delay
circuitry, depending on the type of
demodulators used in the set. But, I agree it is ??? if it would be
worthwhile spend more than a few bucks for repairs. There was an
Office Max ad for a 20" tv in today's paper for $89. At that price ,
it is not worth even thinking about repairs unless the set has some
sentimental value. :-)

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
Alan Harriman

Everyone has assumed that it is not an antenna mismatch/signal
reflection problem. That can be verified by running another set in
place of the ?? set. There could also be problems with the delay
circuitry, depending on the type of
demodulators used in the set. But, I agree it is ??? if it would be
worthwhile spend more than a few bucks for repairs. There was an
Office Max ad for a 20" tv in today's paper for $89. At that price ,
it is not worth even thinking about repairs unless the set has some
sentimental value. :-)

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

I saw the same at the local supermarket. They also had a DVD player for $39. But
of course, this set is a 50" projection TV.

Alan Harriman

Leonard Caillouet

"H. R. Bob Hofmann" wrote in message
om...
demodulators used in the set. But, I agree it is ??? if it would be
worthwhile spend more than a few bucks for repairs. There was an
Office Max ad for a 20" tv in today's paper for $89. At that price ,
it is not worth even thinking about repairs unless the set has some
sentimental value. :-)

This is a 50" RPTV, so the comparison is silly. Do the numbers. Weak
tubes, maybe a year or two left after the set is fixed...not worth
considering. Strong tubes, maybe 4 years left, possibly.

Cost to replace...~$1800...at 12 year life expectancy...cost to own a new
set $150 per year. Replacing the set with an HD set with a tuner make that
about $180.

Repair of $500 to rebuild all five boards (that's about what we charge) and
expected life of 4 years, cost to own this one is about $125 per year.

Pros to repair: not contributing to landfill, lower out of pocket expense,
prices and features improving on HD products constantly

Pros to replace: better performance in new set, no assurance that something
else will not break in the old one

Bottom line, like I said, if the CRTs are in good shape it may make sense to
fix. Depends on the value to the customer of having a new set vs an old one
and the ability to deal with the increased outlay of cash.

Leonard Caillouet