Leonard Caillouet

Default MITSUBISHI VS-5007r , Image gohsting ?

"H. R. Bob Hofmann" wrote in message
om...
demodulators used in the set. But, I agree it is ??? if it would be
worthwhile spend more than a few bucks for repairs. There was an
Office Max ad for a 20" tv in today's paper for $89. At that price ,
it is not worth even thinking about repairs unless the set has some
sentimental value. :-)

This is a 50" RPTV, so the comparison is silly. Do the numbers. Weak
tubes, maybe a year or two left after the set is fixed...not worth
considering. Strong tubes, maybe 4 years left, possibly.

Cost to replace...~$1800...at 12 year life expectancy...cost to own a new
set $150 per year. Replacing the set with an HD set with a tuner make that
about $180.

Repair of $500 to rebuild all five boards (that's about what we charge) and
expected life of 4 years, cost to own this one is about $125 per year.

Pros to repair: not contributing to landfill, lower out of pocket expense,
prices and features improving on HD products constantly

Pros to replace: better performance in new set, no assurance that something
else will not break in the old one

Bottom line, like I said, if the CRTs are in good shape it may make sense to
fix. Depends on the value to the customer of having a new set vs an old one
and the ability to deal with the increased outlay of cash.

Leonard Caillouet