Magnusfarce

Default Simple Television Diagnosis

I have a ten year old 27 inch Mitsubishi television set that has developed a
problem, and I'm wondering if I can get a quick idea whether I should
consider repair or replacement. Twice now in the last week the bottom right
corner of the screen, less than a quadrant's worth, has turned purple-ish,
and tonight, the upper right corner turned green as well. Can anyone tell
me if this an obvious picture tube failure or perhaps something simpler?
TIA

- Magnusfarce

James Sweet

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a ten year old 27 inch Mitsubishi television set that has developed

problem, and I'm wondering if I can get a quick idea whether I should
consider repair or replacement. Twice now in the last week the bottom

right
corner of the screen, less than a quadrant's worth, has turned purple-ish,
and tonight, the upper right corner turned green as well. Can anyone tell
me if this an obvious picture tube failure or perhaps something simpler?
TIA

- Magnusfarce

Do you have any speakers or other magnets nearby? If it is a problem within
the TV set it's likely that the degaussing circuit has failed, this is
pretty simple for any knowledgeable tech to repair, if the picture is
otherwise decent it's worth fixing IMO, those older Mits sets are pretty
good.

GPG

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message ink.net...
I have a ten year old 27 inch Mitsubishi television set that has developed a
problem, and I'm wondering if I can get a quick idea whether I should
consider repair or replacement. Twice now in the last week the bottom right
corner of the screen, less than a quadrant's worth, has turned purple-ish,
and tonight, the upper right corner turned green as well. Can anyone tell
me if this an obvious picture tube failure or perhaps something simpler?
TIA

- Magnusfarce

Degauss problem, possibly the ptc resistor. Any magnets nearby?
Also using only the remote to turn on/off does not activate degauss.
Sofie

"GPG" wrote in message
om...
Degauss problem, possibly the ptc resistor. Any magnets nearby?
Also using only the remote to turn on/off does not activate degauss.

---------------------

GPG:
Using the remote to turn on/off the television certainly DOES activate the
degauss cycle.... the power switch on the television is a momentary contact
switch that wakes up the microprocessor just like the remote does..... it
is not a mains disconnect switch like may be found on much older sets or
some designs meant for the PAL/SECAM market.
A waiting time or cool off period may be required for the degauss cycle to
operate..... or as suggested, a magnet nearby or a malfunction with the
degauss circuitry..... a rather inexpensive repair at most service shops.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

BWL

These degauss circuits will occasionally develop bad solder joints on the
thermistor, causing it to pulse, and put the spots on the screen. Resoldering
and degaussing should cure the problem.