Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can i connect an LCD VGA monitor in place of a crt?

i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a black vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the screen . to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to the left. i took the monitor to a repair shop, and he says the monitor/chassis is ok. i'm not too sure about that. a different mpu in the slot has the same result. its a tatung VT-1440S monitor, VGA . i would like to hook up a desktop vga monitor.

i posted an image from the slot schematics he
http://s408.photobucket.com/user/mho...GA%20interface

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine? i made a cable with a female db-15 and individual pins on the other end.

thanks much
mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a black vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the screen . to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to the left. i took the monitor to a repair shop, and he says the monitor/chassis is ok. i'm not too sure about that. a

different mpu in the slot has the same result. its a tatung VT-1440S monitor, VGA . i would like to hook up a desktop vga monitor.

i posted an image from the slot schematics he
http://s408.photobucket.com/user/mho...GA%20interface

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine? i made a cable with a female db-15 and individual pins on the other end.

thanks much
mike

I don't know if this will work in your case, but you may want to check
it out. I am sure there are similar items to do the conversion. I am
using one like that to convert a non standard HP service monitor
composit out put to a lcd monitor.

Arcade Game RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA HD Video Converter Board GBS8200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152136456723...53.m2749.l2649
&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:31:14 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 18:47:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine?

Yes. It should work. I do that all the time for old CNC machines
that basically have a PC inside as a controller. Just be careful how
you wire the video cable or adapter.

You can get a rebuild kit for your Tatung VT-1440S at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tatung-VS-14428-VT-1440S-Cap-Kit-Get-Well-Kit-for-Monitor-Repair-/200889563465
$16 total.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

i need to know what pins to use and not use.

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine?

Yes. It should work. I do that all the time for old CNC machines
that basically have a PC inside as a controller. Just be careful how
you wire the video cable or adapter.

You can get a rebuild kit for your Tatung VT-1440S at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tatung-VS-14428-VT-1440S-Cap-Kit-Get-Well-Kit-for-Monitor-Repair-/200889563465
$16 total.

i need to know what pins to use and not use.
thanks

Why, when you can easily fix the existing monitor?

Well, you have a schematic of the interface, so that should be easy.
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/mhooker32/VGA%20interface/monitor%20wiring_zpseldutpwd.png

Ok, I'll try to connect the dots. I'll guess(tm) that you have a
matching 19 pin connector for the monitor and need to attach a DE15
connector to go to your random VGA replacement Monitor. If so, do NOT
connect anything to pins 14 thru 19 on the monitor cable end because
those are involved in supplying power to the monitor.

Monitor DE15 (VGA)
1 Blue 3 (BL video)
2 Red 1 (RD video)
3 Green 2 (GN video)
4 HSYNC 13 (horizontal sync)
5 Red Gnd 6 (red shield ground)
6 Blue Gnd 8 (blue shield ground)
7 Green Gnd 7 (green shield ground)
8 Digital Rtn 10 (digital ground)
9 VSYNC 14 (vertical sync)
10 Touch Rcv (see note 1)
11 Touch Xmit (see note 1)
12 GND 5 and shield gnd
13 GND 5 and shield gnd

Notes:

1. The game machine obviously requires a touch screen input to
operate. While the VGA monitor will show something, there is an
unknown as to how a random VGA montitor is going to produce the
required and unknown touch screen signals. In any case, the wires
from Monitor pins 10 and 11 do NOT go to the random VGA monitor.

2. I'm not sure about the various grounds on the VGA connector pins
6, 10, and shield. I'll need to tear apart a VGA cable to see how
it's done. I don't have one handy, so you get to do that yourself.

3. Notice that many of the wires are shielded. You can build the
adapter without using shielded cables. It will work, but probably
show some noise and smearing. Good enough for a first test and you
probably won't notice on a small monitor.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

the touchscreen is an overlay on the front of the crt. i dont want to attempt to repair the monitor until i know all the other functions of the machine work. it can be operated with buttons if the touchscreen isnt there.

thanks much
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 6:47:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a black vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the screen . to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to the left.

So, the video system is probably sending bad timing signals? This
sounds like a screen format miscommunication issue.

VGA uses three pins to send screen capability data from the monitor
to the video card, and that info determines whether you get 640x480
or 1280 x 800, or whatever. Older VGA uses different schemes,
just to make things interesting.

Screen mispositioning often just means a bad video cable. I've seen
it happen with DVI, too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

whit3rd wrote:

VGA uses three pins to send screen capability data from the monitor
to the video card

The original monitor seems NOT to be connected by VGA, it's possible the
slot machine will just assume the CRT is the correct one to display
whatever signals it outputs, rather than looking at EDID data the way a
PC would.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 2:18:30 AM UTC-4, Andy Burns wrote:
whit3rd wrote:

VGA uses three pins to send screen capability data from the monitor
to the video card

The original monitor seems NOT to be connected by VGA, it's possible the
slot machine will just assume the CRT is the correct one to display
whatever signals it outputs, rather than looking at EDID data the way a
PC would.

will that affect what i'm trying to do?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

whit3rd wrote:

VGA uses three pins to send screen capability data from the monitor
to the video card

The original monitor seems NOT to be connected by VGA, it's possible the
slot machine will just assume the CRT is the correct one to display
whatever signals it outputs, rather than looking at EDID data the way a
PC would.

will that affect what i'm trying to do?

i made up the cable as per jeff's chart, and the lcd monitor displayed a very nice image. now i can go thru the machine and test all its functions. with the image on the original monitor as described above, do you think a cap kit will do the trick?

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not
correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a black
vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the screen
. to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to
the left. i took the monitor to a repair shop, and he says the
monitor/chassis is ok. i'm not too sure about that. a different mpu in the
slot has the same result. its a tatung VT-1440S monitor, VGA . i would
like to hook up a desktop vga monitor.

i posted an image from the slot schematics he
http://s408.photobucket.com/user/mho...GA%20interface

It sounds like a phasing problem - its a simple fault to fix, but not simple
to find the part.

Usually; the phase is sampled from a winding on the horizontal transformer.
There's usually a high resistor in series with that signal on its way to the
horizontal oscillator. If that's in a chip - its usually easy to trace the
path to the transformer.

Another possibility is the scan energy recovery system, the left to centre
part of the scan is driven by recovered energy - the horizontal transistor
drives from centre to RHS, the energy is recovered at the end of that. A
fault there usually causes cramping (horizontal linearity) but early onset
faults can distort the waveform back to the phase discriminator.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

whit3rd wrote:

VGA uses three pins to send screen capability data from the monitor
to the video card

The original monitor seems NOT to be connected by VGA, it's possible the
slot machine will just assume the CRT is the correct one to display
whatever signals it outputs, rather than looking at EDID data the way a
PC would.

will that affect what i'm trying to do?

Maybe; the video MODE information never gets confused when the ID pins
are read, but if those AREN'T in use, the video output and the sync signals
might be misinterpreted as the entirely wrong sync rate, or resolution. The
description of the picture being offcenter of the screen does sound like a
mode mismatch between monitor and video 'card'.

So, the monitor walks the picture off the left screen edge at 5 milliseconds, but
the picture isn't completely sent until 8 milliseconds. The monitor just
decided on the wrong horizontal sweep rate.

In the early days of multisync monitors, Apple and IBM and third parties all did
the timing according to whims. Adaptation was a BIG issue.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:47:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a black vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the screen . to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to the left. i took the monitor to a repair shop, and he says the monitor/chassis is ok.. i'm not too sure about that. a different mpu in the slot has the same result. its a tatung VT-1440S monitor, VGA . i would like to hook up a desktop vga monitor.

i posted an image from the slot schematics he
http://s408.photobucket.com/user/mho...GA%20interface

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine? i made a cable with a female db-15 and individual pins on the other end.

thanks much
mike

When my buddy was in the vending business, I repaired several hundred of his monitors, many just like this one. I seem to recall a horiz phase adjustment on the main board. Sometimes just tweaking this pot would lock in the picture.

If the board has never been recapped, it's time to do this. Go to Digikey and select low ESR high hour caps (I prefer Panasonic) and shotgun the board.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The phase comparator compares the sync with a pulse from a winding on the
horizontal transformer. Its fed by a high value resistor - going high or
open is a very common fault.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 19:24:18 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

This happens very rarely but I've seen a cap to ground open on this
line which causes the picture to shift.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

It was common enough on TVs, and I've seen it on a few VGA monitors.

With some TV makes/models - it made it onto the stock fault list.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

cap kit did the trick, nice image now. way in the corner of the board was a leaker you couldnt see until it was pulled. thanks to all for your help
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

On old gear - some engineers do a cap kit anyway before getting down to
fault finding (if there is any).

If the fault persists, there's a much greater level of confidence when you
have to roll your sleeves up and hunt the elusive part.