Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can i connect an LCD VGA monitor in place of a crt?

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 06:39:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:31:14 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 18:47:02 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine?

Yes. It should work. I do that all the time for old CNC machines
that basically have a PC inside as a controller. Just be careful how
you wire the video cable or adapter.

You can get a rebuild kit for your Tatung VT-1440S at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tatung-VS-14428-VT-1440S-Cap-Kit-Get-Well-Kit-for-Monitor-Repair-/200889563465
$16 total.

i need to know what pins to use and not use.
thanks

Why, when you can easily fix the existing monitor?

Well, you have a schematic of the interface, so that should be easy.
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/mhooker32/VGA%20interface/monitor%20wiring_zpseldutpwd.png

Ok, I'll try to connect the dots. I'll guess(tm) that you have a
matching 19 pin connector for the monitor and need to attach a DE15
connector to go to your random VGA replacement Monitor. If so, do NOT
connect anything to pins 14 thru 19 on the monitor cable end because
those are involved in supplying power to the monitor.

Monitor DE15 (VGA)
1 Blue 3 (BL video)
2 Red 1 (RD video)
3 Green 2 (GN video)
4 HSYNC 13 (horizontal sync)
5 Red Gnd 6 (red shield ground)
6 Blue Gnd 8 (blue shield ground)
7 Green Gnd 7 (green shield ground)
8 Digital Rtn 10 (digital ground)
9 VSYNC 14 (vertical sync)
10 Touch Rcv (see note 1)
11 Touch Xmit (see note 1)
12 GND 5 and shield gnd
13 GND 5 and shield gnd

Notes:

1. The game machine obviously requires a touch screen input to
operate. While the VGA monitor will show something, there is an
unknown as to how a random VGA montitor is going to produce the
required and unknown touch screen signals. In any case, the wires
from Monitor pins 10 and 11 do NOT go to the random VGA monitor.

2. I'm not sure about the various grounds on the VGA connector pins
6, 10, and shield. I'll need to tear apart a VGA cable to see how
it's done. I don't have one handy, so you get to do that yourself.

3. Notice that many of the wires are shielded. You can build the
adapter without using shielded cables. It will work, but probably
show some noise and smearing. Good enough for a first test and you
probably won't notice on a small monitor.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558