Dan

Default Transistor for Orion car amplifier

I need to find some replacement transistors for my Orion Cobalt CO430
amp.

The amp has a row of six heatsinked transistors along each side of the
circuit board. The part I need is labelled:

ORION
0490-0210
T9418AJ

The OTHER transistors along the same row (but which look visually OK
in my amp) are labelled:

SMW20P10
T9418AB
TAIWAN

There is also a triangle symbol that precedes the T9418__ part numbers
on each part.

The new parent company of Orion wasn't able to help. They told me
they didn't keep any parts lists from products made by the old
company. I tried Digi-Key and a couple other parts suppliers, but
they didn't have a cross-reference.

Can anyone provide a replacement part number? My car got flooded and
these parts burned up in the amp under my seat. I'd rather replace
the parts than buy a whole new amp, since it looks like an easy job to
replace them (along with a 10-ohm resistor that also fried).

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Jerry G.

These are proprietary numbers. If you can find out who the original
manufacture is for Orion you may have a chance. Or, if you have the
knowledge base and resources you can try to examine the design, and go
through data sheets to choose replacement transistors that are standard.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

BOB URZ

Dan wrote:

[...]

Just a warning, unless your a pretty fair tech, keep your nose out of
those amps
or you will just be burning up more parts.

Car amps have two basic parts, the switching power supply and the audio
power
output stages. The power supplies usually use power mosfets. The
amplifier channels usually use complementary transistors (PNP/NPN). You
need to ID which is which. The 20P10 should be a mosfet. Are these in the
power supply?
You need to figure out which end is which. Note: on the power supply end,
there will be a torroid transformer in the middle of the mess. And power
switching devices on both side of the case for it. THese should all be the
same
part number. With some full wave diodes (maybe in similar cases) on the
end
of the power supply FETs.

Look close at the parts on the other end of the power supply (amplifier
side). Those power device should have two different part numbers. First,
you need to ID the case type. Then find one that is not blown and figure
our if its a PNP, NPN or a Power FET. Then the fun begins about finding a
replacement.
You can usually tell the output devices for the power amps because they
will have low value higher wattage emitter resistors hooked to them.

If you don't have a clue, bail out now.....
Otherwise, post what you find.

BOB

James Sweet

Look close at the parts on the other end of the power supply (amplifier
side). Those power device should have two different part numbers. First,
you need to ID the case type. Then find one that is not blown and figure
our if its a PNP, NPN or a Power FET. Then the fun begins about finding a
replacement.
You can usually tell the output devices for the power amps because they
will have low value higher wattage emitter resistors hooked to them.

If you don't have a clue, bail out now.....
Otherwise, post what you find.

BOB

To add to this, if a part is visually blown, it's highly likely that a
number of other parts are also bad, it's impossible to tell without taking
some measurments and it gets expensive very quickly blowing up new parts
because other bad parts were missed.

Dan

Someone over in rec.car.audio replied with the replacement part
numbers. They are apparently 100 volt MOSFETS in TO-247AD cases. The
ones I fried both had the same part number - they are N-channel
Mosfets, and should be replacable with an IRF part # IRFP150N. The
adjacent ones, which were not visiby damaged in my amp, are P-channel
Mosfets, replacable with an IRFP9140.

I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and will give them a try. If it
doesn't work, oh well, I'm out less than 10 bucks in parts and will go
shopping for a new amp.

Thanks for the help.

--

BOB URZ wrote...

If you don't have a clue, bail out now.....
Otherwise, post what you find.

BOB URZ

Dan wrote:

Someone over in rec.car.audio replied with the replacement part
numbers. They are apparently 100 volt MOSFETS in TO-247AD cases. The
ones I fried both had the same part number - they are N-channel
Mosfets, and should be replacable with an IRF part # IRFP150N. The
adjacent ones, which were not visiby damaged in my amp, are P-channel
Mosfets, replacable with an IRFP9140.

I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and will give them a try. If it
doesn't work, oh well, I'm out less than 10 bucks in parts and will go
shopping for a new amp.

Thanks for the help.

What you found sounds possible. But whenever i fix an amplifier channel,
i replace all the device in the bad channel. Too big a risk that there is
damage
you cannot test for and that the parts were stressed. Make sure all the
drivers
have good junctions and are not shorted. Also, check the values on any low
value resistors in the vicinity. They can look good and still be open.

BOB