BOB URZ

Default Transistor for Orion car amplifier

Dan wrote:

Someone over in rec.car.audio replied with the replacement part
numbers. They are apparently 100 volt MOSFETS in TO-247AD cases. The
ones I fried both had the same part number - they are N-channel
Mosfets, and should be replacable with an IRF part # IRFP150N. The
adjacent ones, which were not visiby damaged in my amp, are P-channel
Mosfets, replacable with an IRFP9140.

I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and will give them a try. If it
doesn't work, oh well, I'm out less than 10 bucks in parts and will go
shopping for a new amp.

Thanks for the help.

What you found sounds possible. But whenever i fix an amplifier channel,
i replace all the device in the bad channel. Too big a risk that there is
damage
you cannot test for and that the parts were stressed. Make sure all the
drivers
have good junctions and are not shorted. Also, check the values on any low
value resistors in the vicinity. They can look good and still be open.

BOB