Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell PowerConnect fan question

As anyone who owns one knows, the fans in a Dell PowerConnect 5324
network switch are horrendously noisy. Therefore, following the
suggestions I see all over the 'Net, I bought a pair of Sunon
KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN fans.

One of the two new fans keeps the "Fan OK" LED green but does not spin.
The other one spins but activates the red "Fan Error" LED.

Is there any simple explanation for this? With the original Delta
screamers, the red LED switched on only when a fan was disconnected or
prevented from turning.

Anybody else here done this fan substitution? Does a "working" (i.e.,
spinning) Sunon fan activate the green fan LED rather than the red one?

Perce
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 00:00:40 -0500, legg wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2016 23:22:15 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I do see one difference between the fans I bought and the ones referred
to in Brad Poulton's comment on YouTube: mine are KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN,
whereas he mentions KDE1204PKV3-MS.AR.GN
Perce

methinks that is just direction of airflow.
RL

Wrong. See Pg 08
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Sunon%20PDFs/Maglev%20Catalog.pdf
to decode the part number.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Here is another quote:

"Just a note to add that if you use the version of those Sunon fans with the "F" 3rd wire output (frequency or "tacho" output) then the switch will register a fan fail - you need the version that has the "R" (Rotation) type 3rd wire output which is a basic constant 5v or 0v output depending on whether the fan is stalled or running"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dM0pBRfOI&t=0s
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 09:55:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Did you ever do the pin switch as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkMBa2yfW4o

Nope. However, I just inherited a Dell 5424 that could use a fan
transplant. I might try it eventually, but not in the immediate
future. It's going into a mount top site where there's nobody to
complain about the noise.

The guy in the youtube comments says the KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN w/ the pin swap works great.

Looks good. It took him a few tries to get the power polarity
correct. The open question is whether the fan sense wire wants a DC
level to represent fan speed, or if it generates pulses. I still
don't have an answer and suggest you use an oscilloscope on the sense
wire to see what it's doing (with the original noisy fans). I can do
it in about a week (I'm on vacation this week) or I might sneak into
the office for one day this week.

That pdf posted does not help decode these part numbers heh:
KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN
vs
KDE1204PKV3.MS.AF.GN

Dunno. All I have to work with on decoding the part number was on my

Also he http://www.jonkensy.com/quiet-down-your-homelab/

Same thing. Just juggle the wires and it should work, assuming that
you got lucky with the sense wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 09:59:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Here is another quote:

"Just a note to add that if you use the version of those Sunon fans
with the "F" 3rd wire output (frequency or "tacho" output) then the
switch will register a fan fail - you need the version that has the
"R" (Rotation) type 3rd wire output which is a basic constant 5v
or 0v output depending on whether the fan is stalled or running"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dM0pBRfOI&t=0s

Well, that's your answer on the part number.

However, you can probably simulate the "R" type by simply integrating
the frequency output of the "F" type with a large capacitor. To the
Dell switch, the pulse train would look like a DC voltage. It's easy
enough but I don't want to recommend a circuit until I see what kind
of load the Dell represents (TTL, CMOS, transistor circuit, etc) and
what levels it expects.

F versus R type:
http://www.sunon.com/uFiles/file/03_products/07-Technology/005.pdf

You could also just pull down to ground the 3 fan sense wires on the
Dell. (see waveform on the R type above). There would not be any
indication of a fan failure, but it would work.