Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell PowerConnect fan question

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 09:55:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Did you ever do the pin switch as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkMBa2yfW4o

Nope. However, I just inherited a Dell 5424 that could use a fan
transplant. I might try it eventually, but not in the immediate
future. It's going into a mount top site where there's nobody to
complain about the noise.

The guy in the youtube comments says the KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN w/ the pin swap works great.

Looks good. It took him a few tries to get the power polarity
correct. The open question is whether the fan sense wire wants a DC
level to represent fan speed, or if it generates pulses. I still
don't have an answer and suggest you use an oscilloscope on the sense
wire to see what it's doing (with the original noisy fans). I can do
it in about a week (I'm on vacation this week) or I might sneak into
the office for one day this week.

That pdf posted does not help decode these part numbers heh:
KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN
vs
KDE1204PKV3.MS.AF.GN

Dunno. All I have to work with on decoding the part number was on my

Also he http://www.jonkensy.com/quiet-down-your-homelab/

Same thing. Just juggle the wires and it should work, assuming that
you got lucky with the sense wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D