Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cold stair lift motor

I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

Check this out and post some comments what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Sketch
http://i67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.gif
http://oi67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How cold is cold, 32F or 50F or what? Also, the figure was a little confusing!!! Is the battery connected to charge at both the top and bottom? If so, then light could be on whenever the battery is being charged, but off when in motion,
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/02/2016 16:46, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

Check this out and post some comments what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Sketch
http://i67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.gif
http://oi67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.jpg

What happens if the room is cold and you selectively heat only the
bearings/gear box with hot air?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Is it the motor that is the problem or the batteries? The way I read this is
the batteries are the problem. A PTC heater and some good insulation would
seem to be the better answer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
How cold is cold, 32F or 50F or what? Also, the figure was a little confusing!!! Is the battery connected to charge at both the top and bottom? If so, then light could be on whenever the battery is being charged, but off when in motion,

Normal winter night temp in the stairway is 25-45, with a few nights 10-25.

Charging contacts are at top and bottom. Chair is at top nearly all the time.

Only need resistor or lamp on when charging.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...
[...]

It keeps the grease from getting hard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tom Miller" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

The heat would be for the lubrication in the motor and gears. Heat for battery is not needed.

Thanks everyone.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/18/2016 1:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Tom Miller" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Get some low temperature grease and oil for your motor and gearbox -
there are synthetics that cover a wider range than regular oils and grease.

Check with the manufacturers of the chair lift - they may have
recommendations in this matter.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com