DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cold stair lift motor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/390651-cold-stair-lift-motor.html)

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney February 18th 16 04:46 PM

Cold stair lift motor

I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

Check this out and post some comments what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Sketch
http://i67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.gif
http://oi67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.jpg

[email protected] February 18th 16 05:00 PM

Cold stair lift motor

How cold is cold, 32F or 50F or what? Also, the figure was a little confusing!!! Is the battery connected to charge at both the top and bottom? If so, then light could be on whenever the battery is being charged, but off when in motion,

N_Cook February 18th 16 06:46 PM

Cold stair lift motor

On 18/02/2016 16:46, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

Check this out and post some comments what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Sketch
http://i67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.gif
http://oi67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.jpg

What happens if the room is cold and you selectively heat only the
bearings/gear box with hot air?

Tom Miller February 18th 16 07:36 PM

Cold stair lift motor

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Is it the motor that is the problem or the batteries? The way I read this is
the batteries are the problem. A PTC heater and some good insulation would
seem to be the better answer.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney February 18th 16 09:10 PM

Cold stair lift motor

wrote in message ...
How cold is cold, 32F or 50F or what? Also, the figure was a little confusing!!! Is the battery connected to charge at both the top and bottom? If so, then light could be on whenever the battery is being charged, but off when in motion,

Normal winter night temp in the stairway is 25-45, with a few nights 10-25.

Charging contacts are at top and bottom. Chair is at top nearly all the time.

Only need resistor or lamp on when charging.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney February 18th 16 09:12 PM

Cold stair lift motor

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...
[...]

It keeps the grease from getting hard.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney February 18th 16 09:14 PM

Cold stair lift motor

"Tom Miller" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

The heat would be for the lubrication in the motor and gears. Heat for battery is not needed.

Thanks everyone.

MJC February 18th 16 10:09 PM

Cold stair lift motor

In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

What happens if the room is cold and you selectively heat only the
bearings/gear box with hot air?

It keeps the grease from getting hard.

So clean off this cheapo grease and replace with cold-adapted
alternative?

Mike.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney February 19th 16 05:27 AM

Cold stair lift motor

"MJC" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

What happens if the room is cold and you selectively heat only the
bearings/gear box with hot air?

It keeps the grease from getting hard.

So clean off this cheapo grease and replace with cold-adapted
alternative?

Mike

Yes, that's by far the best idea but next to impossible to get to where the grease is without major disassembly. And that's nothing compared with putting it all back together again.... I did a partial disassy once before which took a good 2 days. Chair was originally installed on the right side of the stairs and had to move it later to another stairway on the left side. Everything had to be switched to the other side. I still can't believe we did it and got everything back working.

John Robertson February 19th 16 06:15 AM

Cold stair lift motor

On 02/18/2016 1:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Tom Miller" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Get some low temperature grease and oil for your motor and gearbox -
there are synthetics that cover a wider range than regular oils and grease.

Check with the manufacturers of the chair lift - they may have
recommendations in this matter.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com